Dash Pad Interchangeability

Hello everyone! 

I am looking to clean up the interior of my 87 MJ. The current dashpad is cracked and missing pieces in some places. I recently visited the local pull a part and found a '97 with an intact dashpad in the same color as my original. 

I was wondering if the dash is interchangable. I will retain the stock '87 controls and gauge cluster and just looking to change out the old, dried out dash pad. 

Thanks for your time! 

On 3/3/2019 at 5:39 PM, Minuit said:

Honest question, I've never tried - is it even possible to remove the dash pad of either the 84-96 or 97-01 dashes without destroying it?

I've never tried it, but was going to give it a go. 

It's fun for sure. I've removed dozens. Don't do it when it's cold since they are easier to crack. It really isn't hard more takes patience. The philips screw on driver side vent cover is the first obstacle since its always a pain. I take a cheap free harbor freight driver and bend it in my press. I use it to turn it an eighth to quarter turn to get it started. The older the dash, the more they seem harder to get started. After breaking it loose a good flex bit usually works to finish it. To get the vent cover off is the next trick without breaking it. I use a long flathead and slide it in between driver a-pillar and dash to help pop the stubborn last clip again on driver side. I usually lift and twist slightly from the passenger side while doing so. Once I access the actual dash bolts to cowl, I do the driver side first again with a wobbles bit since its tight and be very careful not to crack the dash at that bolt since its so tight. Again cold is your worst enemy.

15518305777556706252345380389018.jpg.7a444a35000c87bf0fd743cd0b76c886.jpgThis is my favorite tool I made for removing the driver a-pillar screw that loves to be angled up and near impossible to get without damaging the corner of the dash. 90s down always seem bad for this. The little ratcheting tool is to big. I need to buy a ratcheting 1/4" box end but this is what I had, it works and it's removed several a-pillars so I never did. Maybe one day lol.

20190206_175044.jpg.eb6a66fba3cfccb1a3b36c0698aee5a8.jpg