8.8 internals VS. D35 internals

Oizarod115

v.jpg

Wow is she cleaning the diff cover?! I need to get me a girl like that! :cheers:

BTW After a few years of running an 8.8 I must say the weakest point (IMO) is the diff cover itself. It's got a goofy lip on the bottom that is BEGGING to be pryed up on a rock.

However that could be solved with one of these:

4665IMG_1757_sized.jpg

:drool:

Is that a BTF cover? I got one on my 8.8 & it was worth the bucks. The only thing I don't like is the small-headed specialty bolts they use. Can't find these puppies in a hardware store.

I also found out I don't have a 5/16" 12 point socket. Took forever to run all those bolts out with a wrench. :mad:

I noticed in one of my offroad mags they did an axle comparison & stated the 8.8 only had a marginal strength increase over the D35 & wasn't worth the time or money to do the swap. Uh...ok. The ONLY reason they gave was it was a c-clip design.

I don't get this because I've never seen a c-clip fail. I've seen shafts break, R&P's grenade, spiders explode, housings crack, you name it, but never had a c-clip or the lip holding it on the axle fail.

I noticed in one of my offroad mags they did an axle comparison & stated the 8.8 only had a marginal strength increase over the D35 & wasn't worth the time or money to do the swap. Uh...ok. The ONLY reason they gave was it was a c-clip design.

I don't get this because I've never seen a c-clip fail. I've seen shafts break, R&P's grenade, spiders explode, housings crack, you name it, but never had a c-clip or the lip holding it on the axle fail.

its not that the c-clip is a weak point, but if you break a shaft with a c-clip axle the axle/tire will come out of the shaft and you're not even rolling anymore.

with a non-clip axle your shaft is bolted in and when you blow a shaft you can at least roll/drive a short distance to be able to fix the axle... also helps if you're on the track and blow a shaft on the take-off your tire won't roll off and your brakes/stuff nail the tarmac

Are you sure about that? Maybe it was a typo. The 27 spline 8.25 is only marginally stronger than a Dana 35. The 31 spline 8.8 is waaay stronger than a Dana 35 and the shafts are stronger than a Dana 44. Even the 28 spline 8.8 is much stronger than a Dana 35.

As to C-clips, it's a common thing to say it's poor, but that's not due to weakness in the C-clip itself, but rather it's a weakness of the design. When you bust an axle shaft, the clip part gets retained inside the diff just fine, but the rest of the axle shaft is allowed to wander right out of your axle tube and it takes the tire with it. :eek: With a non-C-clip design, the tire and outer part of the axle shaft are retained even if the axle shaft snaps. But if you get a 31 spline Explorer 8.8, the C-clip design is essentially a moot point seeing as it's very VERY hard to snap one of those shafts. :D

Yeah superior make a Super88 kit which eliminates the "c" clip as well. I can tell you from experience these axles are a beast, and the diff cover isn't worth a poo Poo. I think the reason why BTF uses them small head bolts is they don't get bashed as easily as a hex head.

I noticed in one of my offroad mags they did an axle comparison & stated the 8.8 only had a marginal strength increase over the D35 & wasn't worth the time or money to do the swap.

That would be the 27-spline 8.25, used through 1996. Beginning in 1997 they went to larger, 29-spline shafts in the 8.25, making it nearly as strong as a D44. (But ... still a c-clip axle. And still with puny 9" brakes.)

its not that the c-clip is a weak point, but if you break a shaft with a c-clip axle the axle/tire will come out of the shaft and you're not even rolling anymore.

with a non-clip axle your shaft is bolted in and when you blow a shaft you can at least roll/drive a short distance to be able to fix the axle... also helps if you're on the track and blow a shaft on the take-off your tire won't roll off and your brakes/stuff nail the tarmac

I understand what 'happens' to a c-clip axle when you blow a shaft, but generally when you do blow a shaft it is in an awkward spot on the trail (awkward meaning difficult).

Sooo: BLAM! shaft goes, most likely you are still in the obsticle that your axle shaft couldn't make it out of anyway. Non c-clippers can potentially drive a small distance, but it's unlikely your going to be getting anywhere cause your stuck in a rut, minus one wheel.

In my experience, if you blow a shaft, you fix that shaft right then and there. It's usually more trouble than it's worth to move the vehicle (unless it absolutley has to happen). Or if you have tons of people/rigs/tools with you. Like UA status. :popcorn:

I hope i'm making sense, it's my first post of the morning. :nuts:

I totally agree... a shaft never breaks where it is easy to change. The whole "c" clip non "c" clip debate has raged for yrs. There is no replacement for ring gear and shaft size... so needless to say the D35 and GM 7.5 break more often then say a Semi floating D60. The only true way to make sure you are not immobilized on the trail is to go full floating axles and then carry spares. BTW 35 spline D60 shafts are rasonable :brows: and ppl will just about give you their 31 spline ones :D

I'll toss my hat into this ring.

with my current tire size I would rate my 8.8 as nearly bulletproof.

it is possible.

Brad broke on in his rig:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=571982

but it was only after the ring and pinion in the front axle departed, and the entire weight of the rig came crashing down a waterfall onto the rear axle.

carnage was impressive, and included a broken detroit.

Anything can be broken, but I'm not worried about it.

That said, how is this any different than any other Jeep out there? All the later model 35's were c clip.

at least I'm not likely to break an 8.8 shaft.

just another reason to not believe everything you read, until you talk with someone that's abused it. I bet that all of the offroad rag guys have never even used an 8.8 because it has c clips, so how can they accurately rate how strong of an axle it is?

I'll just say that mine took a full throttle assualt up lower 2 just fine

jamminz.gif

Well dammit, I'm still awaiting an answer to my question here...

Who's the chick? and I'll add another question here as well, What's her phone number? :brows:

I want an answer to both questions, PRONTO! :D

ditto :cheers:

Well dammit, I'm still awaiting an answer to my question here...

Who's the chick? and I'll add another question here as well, What's her phone number? :brows:

I want an answer to both questions, PRONTO! :D

ditto :cheers:

At least somebody is on the same page as me...

WTF is wrong with the rest of you, carrying on normal life? This girl is golden, I mean, look at her, shes good lookin, doesnt dress like a slutty girl, and still gets down and dirty with an axle overhaul!