Rebuild front end

The place I go to for emissions testing is a respected 4x4 shop. They get around $600 for doing four ball joints on a Cherokee. Several years ago I paid $85 for two lower control arms from Crown. Used steering box cost me $40. Rebuilt will probably run $100 to $150, plus labor. A new steering box could go $350 plus labor.

If you're looking at having a shop do all this, you're looking at a couple or three thousand dollars.

^what Eagle said regarding cost.

And remember the truck you are bringing to a shop is sorry "old".  Unless they are experienced prepare for them to run into problems. 

Recommend to people often.. go to RockAuto.com... price all the part out and then double that price for installation at a minimum. 

One of my Jeep Liberty KJs was $1K for the ball joints (upper and lower ) (upper is new A arms ) and full alignment when owned by another family member that couldn't wait on my schedule to open up to do the work. 

Based on what you are talking about your MJ will also require a front alignment which, around me would be at least $80. 

Also... suggestion... Fill out your information in your profile so that your location and truck information is populated when you post. It will help. 

Good Luck. 

Thanks. Yeah. I’ve been doing a lot of research this morning. 

I need to replace the suspension in the front and the steering gearbox. 

I was hoping I might be able to do it on my own but from my research it involves moving the engine which puts it outside of my capabilities. 

I was kind of hoping to find a database of Jeep mechanics in my area. 

Sway bar is four bolts at the uniframe, all easily accessible without moving anything.

Upper control arms, lower control arms, ball joints, wheel hubs, steering interlink, tie rods, drag link, all accessible without touching the motor.

If your doing all that might as well just pull the axle right out as well.

Chilton's, Haynes ... All manuals made to send you to a mechanic. Had a Chilton manual, with the wrong firing order printed in it, ruin my day back in 1992. Common issue.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

i got into an accident the other day while it was raining. The car in front of me stopped suddenly and I jammed on the brakes and avoided the car but hit the curb with my wheels turned all the way left. So the rim hit the curb basically flat against it. 

That bent the rim. But I took it to an alignment place and they said they thought something is bent in the steering gear box because amazingly my alignment is fine but my steering wheel is off center to the left about 20°. 

On 1/12/2019 at 10:58 PM, Peterjojo said:

i got into an accident the other day while it was raining. The car in front of me stopped suddenly and I jammed on the brakes and avoided the car but hit the curb with my wheels turned all the way left. So the rim hit the curb basically flat against it. 

That bent the rim. But I took it to an alignment place and they said they thought something is bent in the steering gear box because amazingly my alignment is fine but my steering wheel is off center to the left about 20°. 

I don't think there is anything inside a Jeep (Saginaw -- GM) steering box that can be "bent" -- especially not indirectly by a wheel hitting a curb. Check over the front end and see if something else might be bent -- like the tie rod, or the drag link, or possibly (but not likely) the track bar.

Also, the steering wheel centering is adjustable by the sleeve at the upper end of the drag link. Setting that is part of an alignment. What kind of alignment shop does an alignment and doesn't set the steering wheel to center? This sounds to me like a scam shop that's looking to sell you on a steering box you don't need.