Rear Window & Windshield

This topic has been covered a few times but the conclusion is not the same as I last understood.  This morning I had a three piece rear window replaced with a one piece on an 89 MJ.  One of the three panes had been replaced with plexiglass by the prior owner. I preferred one piece to cut down on noise and possible leaks. One piece glass is NOT available new.  The glass is tempered.  Fortunately, they had a used one from 2014.  It has a scratch but otherwise it is ok.  Additionally, 3 piece windows with sliding center panes ARE AVAILABLE NEW.  He showed me the availability on his computer screen and I saw that has 3 panes, not the 4 pane ones we know about.  It is available in CA, AZ, CT and possibly a few other places. He said shipping would be about $150 to VA.  I preferred the one piece as stated.  MaGrand is the glass company that he searched.  He said it is not available to everyone.  I paid $125 for the used rear window installed.  I asked if he would match a price he charged me 3 years ago for windshield that they installed in an 87 MJ.  He said prices are up and normally they would charge $165 but he cut the price to $150.  The old windshield had a chip but passed inspection. My reason for replacing it was because of the surface fractures and the resulting night time starbursts. With windshields that cheap, a used one does not make sense.  The rear glass is tempered and does not get surface fractures. It is amazing how clear a new windshield is after looking through an old one.

3 hours ago, MeanLemons said:

I’m wondering if plexiglass could be used as one piece for rear window?

I'd say no way it would work.  It would be flexing and vibrating like crazy at moderate and higher speeds.  Would probably sound terrible too, for those of us that would care about extra noise in the cab.

13 minutes ago, kryptronic said:

I'd say no way it would work.  It would be flexing and vibrating like crazy at moderate and higher speeds.  Would probably sound terrible too, for those of us that would care about extra noise in the cab.

Ah I see.  Hmmm ok thanks 

6 hours ago, Manche757 said:

MaGrand is the glass company that he searched.

I searched for that on the 'net.  However, I came up with Mygrant Glass.  HQ'd in Hayward, CA., but they have two locations near me (and you): B'more and Lanham, MD