More Power for 4.0?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If oakville is just past Toronto like I think it is, I'm right in Niagara falls, well ok, 3 mins south. I can get an 8.8 cheap for you, if you don't mind hopping the boarder. I'll get you a receipt and everything to try to minimize duty fees, if any. This would have disks, and I can probably find a disc booster as well. Hell, could probably play customs games and tell them you bought the axle from a buddy in Canada, and came to visit a buddy south of the boarder on the same trip, and might be able to get away duty free.

By dropping the axle, if it's sprung under, it may be easier, but not completely necessary to drop the leafs as well. If your already sprung over out back (your not if your stock) then the leafs are best left attached. If you end up dropping the leafs, make certain they go back on the same way they came off, a simple sharpie with an arrow marking "front" will suffice, otherwise you'll be clueless when theres an extra 8 inches or so between the driveshaft and the axle. I had to laugh at a guy before when he did that, and didn't listen...

I'f i'm running SUA stock setup wouldn't the regular perch angles work, just need to modify them to fit MJ springs. Or how do I figure out the pinon angle I need, just lift axle up and tach the perches when I think its ok?
Pinion angle is I think 1-2* more/less (I gotta look it up) than what your driveshaft will be sitting at. Really, you can set everything up, bolt it all down, eyeball where the pinion is a hair out of directly straight with the driveshaft, and then tighten the axle ubolts so you don't loose the angle, and burn the perches on, and be set.

If you want professional help with your options, call my buddy, Matt at United Four Wheel Drive during the 9-4pm EST time frame at (716) 759-7420. He will be more than happy to help you out, and has done over a thousand axles in his career for setting them up with custom suspensions (this includes pinion angles), as well as doing gear swaps.

yeah, border is like 45 minutes from my place, just past Hamilton actually, my dad works in queenston (our side of the border) yeah you could write me a receipt for like a hundred bucks or whatever.

Its definately spring under STOCK, no lift kits on a 2wd... for now. do 8.8's come in 3.55? cause with my tires I don't think I could run 4.10. If I drop it, havn't really thought about axle swap when i've had it up in the air so I havn't planned on how i'd do it, but I think I could even try and say leave the front bushings bolted and just swing down the axle from the rear.

You don't need to pull the axle. But unless you have a lift, you're going to hate life for not doing it.

Getting another axle to set-up is the best bet.

??. Did he mean "pull the axle" out as in prep to change the ring/pinion, or "pull the axle" as in swap the rear end?

He said 'drop' which to me means taking the entire assembly off the truck.

It gets vauge once I start using the same term for multiple things.

Anyways, in summation, do gears with axle not in truck. Unless you hate yourself.

I've always found it easier to leave the shackles attached to the leaves and unbolt them from the frame.

And yes, 8.8s can be had with 3.55s. Although I've yet to find any evidence that the 3.55 8.8s ever had posi as an option. Posi is available on the 3.73 and 4.10 ones though. It's also an option on pretty much every Jeep rear axle you can use in this application. Try car-part.com too when you junkyard searching.

You don't need to pull the axle. But unless you have a lift, you're going to hate life for not doing it.

??. Did he mean "pull the axle" out as in prep to change the ring/pinion, or "pull the axle" as in swap the rear end?

Anyways, in summation, do gears with axle not in truck. Unless you hate yourself.

Okay Dirt-man, understand. Had a compound lift to work with (lift chassis and then rear end) and was not prety easy. :cheers:

Okay Dirt-man, understand. Had a compound lift to work with (lift chassis and then rear end) and was not prety easy. :cheers:

Damn - too many brews and not enough proof reading. Had a compound lift to work with (lift chassis and then suspend rear end) and was pretty easy.