I bought a Ranger

Swanny

Well since my vehicle plans change on a daily basis I unfortunately made the decision to get a new 07 Ranger instead of a 'manche. It wasn't a bad deal because I got $1,000 in free accessories, 0% financing for 60 months, plus it's got warranty (read: I pay for oil changes and that's about it). It's a regular cab shortbox 4 cylinder, so it looks good and gets great mileage.

I've had it for about 4 months now but every time I come back here I want a Comanche bad. I've seen some here and there but they're mostly rust buckets. There's one a few hours from me (a 91 4x4), I've tried calling them a few times but there's been no answer. I guess I'll keep trying. They don't say in the ad how many miles are on the truck but they say "1991 JEEP COMANCHE 4X4, 5 speed trans, very rare, very good condition. $4,100". Keep in mind that's CDN $$ and I don't know how many miles are on it.

I'll let you know if I ever get ahold of the guy!

Where ya live? 91s and 92s are hard to get.

Truth be told, if it is in good shape, $4100 is probably not bad if you brow beat him down to about $3800. I know, all the guys south of the border will be freaking out. They'll have to deal with it. Vehicles for the most part retain their value better here, and cost more to begin with. I bought my pile of a 89 at $1600 and figured I did pretty good. And anything with 4wd up here is automatically worth a bunch more - because we actually need it.

Unless of course we're talking about my cherokee. Which I managed to sell for $900. Whoop-dee-@#$%ing-doo.

The guy called me this morning. He said he's asking 4,100 because he's got over $7K into it. He bought it a year ago and has put on new brakes, tires, water pump, thermostat, seals, u-joint(s), rear main, diff seal, etc. He also built a new bumper for the back. It's got 3xx,000 km on it but not too much rust. He got it out of Alberta.

When the wife found out... uh oh... we'll see ;-) Women! :mad: :roll:

Anyone want to take the Ranger off my hands?

so what you're saying is he has 7k in it because he actually payed someone to do all that stuff for him? a waterpump, t-stat, u-joints, and rear-main can all be done for probly around 100dollars if you're willing to do the work.

tires and brakes are a bit more but. seven grand !?

so what you're saying is he has 7k in it because he actually payed someone to do all that stuff for him? a waterpump, t-stat, u-joints, and rear-main can all be done for probly around 100dollars if you're willing to do the work.

tires and brakes are a bit more but. seven grand !?

What he has in it is what he has in it. It isn't fair to consider only the cost of the parts when looking at work recently done. Suppose you had a vintage, classic Corvette that you sent out and had totally restored from the frame up. That job might cost you $20,000 at a decent restoration shop. Would you say it's only worth $500 because that's what the paint and fiberglass cost?

The owner can ask whatever price he wants, and he can justify his asking price any way he wants, or not justify it at all, just say 'That's my price because that's what I'll sell it for." If we don't want to pay that much, we don't buy that truck. End of discussion.

Looking at it from the other side, 300,000 kilometers is about 180,000 miles. Not exactly brand new, but far from worn out for a Jeep 4.0L if even reasonable care was taken of it. If the body and running gear are in good shape, it's easily worth $4100. What would a new Ranger with a 6-cylinder engine cost? In general, if the engine starts and it moves under its own power its usually worth at least $500. Factor in a good body and a bunch of recent work and the price goes up quickly.

If I could find an MJ, with NO RUST,

with a good clean 4.0

Good transmision

a decent interior

longbed

4x4

Any year EXCEPT an 86, (don't think they had a 4.0 in 86s anyway)

I'd be happy to pay $4-5k for it, (well if I had 4-5k)

As it is I'm in debt to my EYE BALLS! :eek:

So I'll just have to keep working on this old 87 MJ that I got when I traded a YJ for it.

The guy is 65, so yes, he paid someone else to do the work. I think his days of wrenching are over. He said he's the kind of guy who takes care of his vehicles. He's had this for a year and it's just not fitting him well (he's big/tall).