Fuel pump won't shut off

Well that was short lived. If you turn the key to on it keeps running again even if you shut the key off. If you unhook the fuel pump at C157 and then hook it back up it no longer continues to run. It's also doesn't stop after primed in the first key position like it did the first couple times when it worked right today.

Since the pump did shut off with the key after you swapped ECM's, I think you're at the problem AO. Check the ECM connector and pins. Look for any bent and/or recessed pins. Clean up both the module and especially it's cable with contact cleaner.

I cleaned the connectors going to the ECM and the ECM is a reman looks brand new. What really gets me is that it worked right the first three times I started it. Now it never stops running like it did those three times. It would prime and stop. Now it just runs. The fuel pump is also very loud when it continues to run. The times it worked right it was quiet when the truck was running. I found seven or eight wires that had bare spots showing repaired them but still not fixed. The fuel pump still continues to run with all the relays taken out of the engine compartment, the ballast resistor unhooked, & unhook the starter relay.  It only stops if you disconnect the pump or battery cable. It does not come back on when you hook them back up unless you cycle the key after that. It is getting power somewhere just got to find where.

13 minutes ago, JMO413 said:

I pulled the connectors at the ECM they are all in great shape. Checked the ECM pins all are straight. Not sure what you meant by AO

Sorry, AO is a military term for Area of Operations. Where you want to be when troubleshooting.

Just for grins, have you tried to measure fuel pressure at the rail test port with a gauge while the pump is running with the ignition off? It may be running backwards because of the harness short.

So I found another spot where the fuel pump feed wire was rubbed through to a green wire with black tracer. Cleaned the ECM connectors again. Hooked it all back up and it works as intended. We're on start and shut down 10 and all is good. I believe it was the last short I found. Will update if it changes. Now I just have to put it all back together again. Thank you everyone for your help with this!!!

• 4 months later...