Question

yes.  not sure on the relay.  charcoal canister still works without the EGR because it addresses a different problem (aka: what to do about gas fumes escaping the gas tank).  it's been a while since I've looked at a charcoal canister, but shouldn't it have a second vacuum line going to it?  

57 minutes ago, Pete M said:

yes.  not sure on the relay.  charcoal canister still works without the EGR because it addresses a different problem (aka: what to do about gas fumes escaping the gas tank).  it's been a while since I've looked at a charcoal canister, but shouldn't it have a second vacuum line going to it?  

You are correct. There’s a second vacuum line that I pulled off the canister when I took the motor out.  I think I will keep it and leave in place. Thank you

2 hours ago, rokinn said:

IIRC the relay is for the electric fan.

Yes.

And if you delete the EGR you can put a pipe plug in the intake manifold, the hole is the perfect size to tap.

Personally I'm torn on if it's something that there's any point in deleting.  I don't have it on my XJ because I put a HO intake on it (needed it for clearance), but it's still on my MJ.