Jump to content

Power steering pulley replacement


Recommended Posts

Hello, i have a friend that needs a power steering pulley for a 86 comanche 2.5 4x4 and we've been looking for one online and the junkyard to no avail.

 

Was wondering if theres one that could replace it? Similar one that could fit?

 

Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it TBI? I would assume so. With serpentine belt?

 

Look to other Renix era 2.5s or 4.0s. 


The 2.5 pump is configured differently in that it has a remote reservoir, it is otherwise the same pump. 

 

HO pulleys will NOT fit, different belt alignment. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

Is it TBI? I would assume so. With serpentine belt?

 

Look to other Renix era 2.5s or 4.0s. 


The 2.5 pump is configured differently in that it has a remote reservoir, it is otherwise the same pump. 

 

HO pulleys will NOT fit, different belt alignment. 

 

 

 

Its a directly to the crank pulley, okay thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, JayhonB said:

I think it is :( we have the original pulley but we might just go to another junkyard or keep an eye on ebay

 

Two v-belt pulleys were used for the 86; one with A/C and one w/o A/C. Which do you have?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If there are two v-belts, one should run the WP and alt (necessary to drive) and one the P/S and A/C (not necessarily necessary).  I've had an A/C compressor go bad and was able to just cut the belt and still drive the truck...but then it was a Chevy, not a Jeep.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Big Dan said:

Whether or not he has AC shouldnt affect the routing for power steering, unless I am misunderstanding something.

 

Big Dan, you made me recheck - and you are correct. The parts manual had two entries for the pump pulley; one for A/C and one for non-A/C models, but both entries were the same p/n and I didn't notice it. If the parts numbers are the same - why list it on two lines? :dunno:  Must be a trap.. 

 

PULLEY, Pump
J3226937, 1, Without Air Conditioning
J3226937, 1, With American Air Conditioning

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

 

Big Dan, you made me recheck - and you are correct. The parts manual had two entries for the pump pulley; one for A/C and one for non-A/C models, but both entries were the same p/n and I didn't notice it. If the parts numbers are the same - why list it on two lines? :dunno:  Must be a trap.. 

 

PULLEY, Pump
J3226937, 1, Without Air Conditioning
J3226937, 1, With American Air Conditioning

I notice it says "with American air conditioning" - what about factory installed air conditioning?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Minuit said:

I notice it says "with American air conditioning" - what about factory installed air conditioning?

 

Good question. It's a serp belt pulley. The J3226937 pulley above is a v-belt pulley.

PULLEY, Pump
J3238275, 1, With Factory Air Conditioning

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...