Emblem Font

DirtyComanche

The closest I could find in the fonts that came with Windows 7 is Swiss 721 Ex BT -- and it's not quite a match. Even after playing with the scale and character spacing it's not quite there.

To get it exact, you're going to have to look at fonts available on the Internet.

image.png.101f6e07cef7d583e6ae89879e126591.png

5 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

I know it's been discussed, but search sucks...

What font was determined to be closest to the emblems style?

Looks like it's just Helvetica bold with tightened spacing, no? 

Yeah. You can see it's a close relative of Helvetica bold, but definitely with some custom thickening and even-ing out in some letters. My buddy is a graphic designer, he could replicate it for us in about 5 minutes...

logo.jpg

3 hours ago, Pancho975 said:

Looks like it's just Helvetica bold with tightened spacing, no? 

No. Not even close. Well, maybe a little close, but not right. Swiss 721 is closer, but still not right.

I don't think AMC/Jeep invented a font. We just need to research what's out there beyond what Microsoft gives us in Windows.

I have limited options without figuring out how to import fonts.  I went with TW Cen MT Condensed Extra Bold in the bold stylizing and then added a stroke to it and condensed it a bit.  Guess what, it's wrong, the C looks quit different...  But I'm going to run with it unless I find something better within the next couple weeks.

I'm also spelling the word Cherokee rather than Comanche, and I don't actually have a good high-res of the emblem, all the Google searches produce the 97+ emblem.

I'm also on really terrible satellite internet right now so it's hard to search images.  Or search anything at all.

I might try the Helvetica Bold option, since I should have that, and play with the stroke and spacing...  It might be closer.

If you have Word, try it using a little bit more character spacing. That setting is found in the advanced settings for formatting the font. I reduced the default character spacing by 2.0 points, and the letters almost touch. I think perhaps -1.5 or -1.0 might be better. I used kerning, but I don't think it made much difference.

12 hours ago, Eagle said:

I tried Swiss 721 Ex BT again. This is that font, with bold applied by Word, with character spacing reduced by 2.0 points and kerning applied.

Closest I've seen.  Can't really see an issue with any of the characters.  All the serifs look to be the right size/shape.  Very nice.

It's a Swiss 721 font, almost for sure.  They came out in 1982, so they would have been "New and edgy" for the time.

I think it's Swiss 721 Black, or Swiss 721 Black BT.  I could download Swiss 721 Black BT for free, so I'm going to try that.  721 Ex BT does not have the boldness that the emblems do, IMHO, although by playing with it you can get it close.  The Black versions are more like that to start with.

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

Windows has outline versions of several of the Swiss 721 variations.

I can create the same effect in Resolve, but it's not what is done with the emblems.  They have a black background that roughly follows the outline of the letters.  It looks different.  Like I said, I might just call it good enough since I doubt anyone is going to care. :laugh:

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks for sharing this. I was able to replicate the logo quite well. I use Inkscape (free) for my vector graphic work. the Swiss 721 font  is a great match. I was able to download it from https://www.cufonfonts.com/font/swiss-721-3

Below you can see the font overlaid in transparent yellow on top of a photo of the badge. I used Swiss 721 Heavy. I also had to change the letter spacing to -1

EG

image.png.6153b849e4c1e30c475aa2b5efc90620.png

image.png.4420fca18e4036b1c412ed6bc5c28296.png