Shredding belt, cracked pulley?

I've replaced the power steering pump because it was leaking and so I replaced the belt from it going bad from fluid.

Anyway I had chirping and replaced crank pulley which sorted that out but then about 40 miles later my belt shredded and I'm Wondering if the power steering pump pulley is cracked/separated or something? I'm gonna get a new one but do y'all think this caused the shredding?

Thanks

IMG_20180318_201309.jpg

Are you referring to that gap on the pulley being the crack?  If I remember correctly all of mine have that gap as well.  

Last time my belt shredded exactly like that, it was due to the water pump going bad and wobbling.  While the belt is off, check every pulley for damage or play in all directions.  Also make sure you tighten the belt up enough.  These engines require a very tight belt.  I've always heard that the belt should twist 1/4 turn around when it's properly tightened.  That's always worked for me. 

46 minutes ago, dj5 said:

I've replaced the power steering pump because it was leaking and so I replaced the belt from it going bad from fluid.

Anyway I had chirping and replaced crank pulley which sorted that out but then about 40 miles later.........

Do you know the p/n of the harmonic balancer you used for the replacement?

• 1 month later...

I've been busy and haven't got around to it, I'm doing it this weekend but I will check the pullies with the belt off and I have an extra water pump laying around if I need it.

The harmonic balancer info is in the image

Screenshot_20180420-165741.png