Mahindra Roxor

DirtyComanche

Mahindra has been working on this Jeepy clone thing for a while now. (They do have a license to build them)

https://jalopnik.com/the-mahindra-roxor-is-a-tiny-offroad-jeep-to-conquer-am-1823460351

Unfortunately it's being marketed as a SxS as it isn't street legal.  I've heard disparaging comments about the build quality from a source that claimed to be involved in the die making.

But still, it's kinda cool, 62HP diesel an classicish looks. :peep:

What say you?

Roxor.jpg

4 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

SxSs are driven on the street here, even tagged. 

Yeah, that's cool if it's legal where you are.  It isn't at all here.  I mean, people do it on backroads and forest service roads, but neither are legal.  And it's an ugly fine and impound if you're caught.

I don't know if they intend to sell them in Canada anyways.

8 minutes ago, 89eliminator said:

neat is all i can come up with.  cool to have if you had money to burn but don't really see a good use for them.  would seem to suck at an offroad park in current form.  curious about axles though, they appear to be 44s but can't verify.

They're quite possibly intending to market them to the UTV crowd more than the SxS crowd, as they primarily sell tractors and other farm/ranch stuff.  I could see them being useful for that.  It's not going to take whoops at 40mph well with that suspension, but it will tow a trailer and you can put a decent amount of junk in it, and it should be a lot tougher (if the build quality is decent) than a SxS.

Also, you can probably turn the power up on the engine by a fair whack before damaging things.  Along with tossing bigger/better tires on it too.

Side by sides or UTVs are very popular here. 

Farmers use them to run the fence lines, haul buckets of feed......whatever..........

My mother lives among a lot of 'hobby farms' and folks all use these to run around and visit each other. 

People drive them into town to the PO, to the store, see the neighbor, caretaker to lock up the park gates........whatever..........

In Gatlinburg they are popular to rent, below is a pic of the rentals that got caught in the fire back in '16. 

Yeah, they would be a hot seller round here.

TYCJvIi.jpg

From what I have read the term “built in Michigan” is misleading. They are built in India but sent over here in Dis-assembled form in crates.  They are then Re-assembled here.  Among other things this avoids tariffs that complete vehicles are saddled with.  It is a rebodied version of their Tarda ( I may be wrong on the name) domestic model. 

On 3/4/2018 at 8:56 AM, Incommando said:

From what I have read the term “built in Michigan” is misleading. They are built in India but sent over here in Dis-assembled form in crates.  They are then Re-assembled here.  Among other things this avoids tariffs that complete vehicles are saddled with.  It is a rebodied version of their Tarda ( I may be wrong on the name) domestic model. 

I think the parent vehicle is the Thar, which is road-legal in India (if you can find a road), but probably doesn't meet U.S. safety standards so can't be imported.

http://www.mahindrathar.com/index.aspx#!thar-CRDe

gallery3.jpg

42 minutes ago, Eagle said:

I think the parent vehicle is the Thar, which is road-legal in India (if you can find a road), but probably doesn't meet U.S. safety standards so can't be imported.

http://www.mahindrathar.com/index.aspx#!thar-CRDe

Allegedly they planned to sell those in the US market at one point, but the whole crash safety standards things (NHTSA?) shut that down before it could happen.

2 hours ago, Eagle said:

If I were to buy a Roxor, the first thing I'd do is send to India for doors and a windshield from a Thar.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Mahindra dealer could just order them in.  If they can't, they should fix that.  Anyone that uses one in the winter would appreciate them.