Cruise control stalk connector connects to what connector?

Ok, we are on to the next project on the wagliminator, got the complete cruise harness, vacuum lines, servo, and the interior harness along with the speedo cables and speed sensor. 1988 Wagoneer, the only head scratcher is the cruise stalk wiring. The stalk had the wires either cut or broken, and I don't know what the stalk plugs into on the interior CC harness. I have everything labeled from the removal even the special quad prong brake switch. But I have one connector that has four wires in the harness, and I don't remember it being connected to anything, and I think the stalk has 4 wires , but all the pictures of the stalk wire connector don't seem to fit the connector that I am wondering about. I have referenced the wiring diagrams, and I see the connector from the stalk to the module harness but no real connector views.

Not sure if I understand what you are asking. The connector on the switch end is kind of strange, it is flat and has two circuits on each side.  It plugs into the connector in your photo, at first glance it might not look like it does, but it does.  The "notched" edge of this connector is retained by the white clip on the connector in your picture.  Pic:

51hGAZyTnML._SL1000_.jpg

Ok, thanks Schardein, thats what was confusing, I saw that stalk connector and the C253 connector and said there's no way that stalk connector plugs into that 4 wire connector but thats what the forum is all about, many minds, many experiences, and lots of answers. Thats got to be one of the strangest connections i've seen in a Jeep product, I am assuming that the stalk wire end is for the ease of installation down the column tube, but why the opposing end design? Weird. Thanks guys I just need to wait for for my E-bay shipment.

1 hour ago, hakukamana said:

Ok, thanks Schardein, thats what was confusing, I saw that stalk connector and the C253 connector and said there's no way that stalk connector plugs into that 4 wire connector but thats what the forum is all about, many minds, many experiences, and lots of answers. Thats got to be one of the strangest connections i've seen in a Jeep product, I am assuming that the stalk wire end is for the ease of installation down the column tube, but why the opposing end design? Weird. Thanks guys I just need to wait for for my E-bay shipment.

Yes, I think the design is so it goes into the column more easily.  The same connector is used on most older GM vehicles, or anything using a Saginaw steering column.  I first encountered it in Chevy square body pickups.

The HO cruise stalk uses the same cruise wire/connector. You can use a piano wire to pull it down through the column. On the HO it plugs into a single yellow connector up on the dash harness directly above the steering column. I ASSume the Renix is the same or similar since it uses the same stalk.

page1.jpg.97c71ba1dbcc6536e7f58a33f2214acb.jpg

It appears that the wires from the stalk including the connector were removed from the column. The stalk has wire in it but right at the opening of the stalk where the wires would exit they are either cut or broken inside the small rectangular hole. Probably yanked on the cable and pulled them out of the stalk. Now I need to see if I can find an upper speedo cable. I have one but being as old as it is after very close inspection, the white plastic retainer is broken in two places. The upper retaining ring and one of the release legs, ATP & Pioneer were no real help and it appears that the Crown version is for a 90', which from the pictures looks a little different from the retaining mechanism on the current cable. I have  (89)53004955 I have one Cherokee in the parts area, I may get lucky. we will see. Hornbrod, did you actually purchase a speed control package from Mopar to get that instruction sheet? Was it NOS? Or is it just the stalk and how to install the stalk, not the entire CRUISE COMMAND PKG.

17 minutes ago, hakukamana said:

Hornbrod, did you actually purchase a speed control package from Mopar to get that instruction sheet? Was it NOS? Or is it just the stalk and how to install the stalk, not the entire CRUISE COMMAND PKG.

Mopar does sell a kit for the HO's, but I only downloaded their instructions. I used junkyard parts from a 95 XJ. The only new part I bought was the stalk. It's all PnP for the HO models.

OK, we are now close to the end of the cruise control installation. I have another weird harness that is part of the cruise harness. The cruise harness came out of an 88 XJ Wagoneer. The light blue with BLK tracer is connected to the brake switch, the white with BLK tracer, with the green connector came out of the fuse panel in the ACC plug in, the black wires (2) of them are connected to a brass ring terminal that was connected to the knee blocker metal brace, we have a white connector that plugs into a connector on a cable that I think has something to do with the floor shift release button. It is located on the floor under the ECM and runs up the steering column. I can tell because when I push the button on the shifter I can feel the cable moving. The final piece of this is a 5 pin relay, looks like it came out of a Ford its a mini, not a regular 5 pin. I have no connections on my shift cable or button cable. I have looked everywhere for a wiring diagram, but it was part of the CC harness and shares a connector with another blue/BLK tracer wire on the brake pedal switch. The Comanche wiring diagram shows no harness connection like this, anyone have a clue?

DSCN0024.JPG

DSCN0025.JPG

Wish I could help but I am drawing a blank here.  This isn't a burn on the Renix system, but adding cruise to the HO is a little more straightforward. 

If I understand correctly, you have a connector that should plug into a cable, but your cable doesn't have place to plug in?  Sounds like you will need to source that cable.  It SOUNDS like it may just be there as safety, if you shift into neutral with cruise engaged, it would sense that and turn off the cruise?  Guessing here.  You might try to run the system without it just to see if it works.  Or you might be able to figure out what that connector needs to see... like does it need a connection to ground for the cruise to function, or vice versa-- then just "fake" that part to see if you can get the whole thing working, then go back and get the right cable later, and in the meantime don't shift into neutral while on cruise (if that's what it's for).  Whew, don't know if that helped at all.

Well the cruise is out of a XJ wagoneer, the MJ was a non-cruise eliminator, both are automatics. You may be on to something,with the neutral shift position thing.

The cable run is just like the one in the MJ with the exception of the black barrel with the connector on the cable. I would assume that a automatic MJ with cruise might have the same cable and maybe the same connection, but I have searched the schematics and can't find anything that shows a acc connection to the fuse box or a connector on the shifter cable.

It does make sense that if the cruise is engaged, the servo would be keeping the throttle at a specific throttle position, with no engine load from the drive train, it would spike (rise dramaticly), this harness has a feed that goes to the brake pedal switch.

If the relay got a completed circuit from the cable connection in the neutral position with a power feed from the ACC plug on the fuse block, then power would go to the brake switch, which somehow shuts the system down, so you don't over rev the engine?????

OK green connector, white with tracer PWR B+, feeds white connector to shift cable on one side, opposite side is light blue with black tracer, (something happens in the cable a connection is made some how) now power B+ is traveling to the relay through the light blue with black tracer, relay has (2) grounds, relay also has a light blue with black tracer out, that goes to the brake pedal switch. So what does it do, and how does it do it at the brake switch? Got to find someone with a Renix automatic with cruise control.

Check out page 20 (4 speed transmission) in the 88 electrical manual. There's mention of a Cruise/Trans switch. Not exactly sure yet how it works, but it's tied in with the servo vacuum dump valve and the brake torque converter. Shows connector C260.

This place has what a pdf they say is for the cruise control system 84-90.
I don’t know if it is correct
http://jeep-manual.ru/index.php?page=78

The part description for the wiring with the relay is called “instrument panel jumper” by jeep, no idea what it does. Maybe somebody will recognize it and what it does. Might be a to integrate aftermarket alarm, only other reference to that part # in google was guy guy cleaning up a alarm.

For the old style cruise control to work it’d need the control stock, vacuum servo, speed sensor, brake, clutch, maybe something to tell it if it’s in drive but I’m not sure about that. I messed with fixing 80s&90s Cruise control but never on a automatic at least not to the point of chasing wiring.

277c8ac77534209cb1b1a3b81ed75fa6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ohm, thanks for the direction, I checked connector C260, that's the connector that plugs into the white switch way up on top of the brake pedal, above the brake pedal switch. It has the servo dump valve hose attached to it. You push on the brake it dumps the vacumn out of the servo. I have the complete cruise control system, I just have a piece of the harness that I don't know what its function is. I have all the FSM's for the MJ. Its frustrating when you have pieces of the puzzel but no reference to which puzzel it goes to. Its obviously a Jeep part, does something with a relay and brake switch connects to a connector on a shifter cable, but I'll be damned if I can figue out what its function is or if I even need it for the cruise function.

Just went over the 1988 Cherokee wagoneer electrical trouble shooting. That mystery relay and wires in not a part of the factory cruise control far as I can tell. Even in the dash and body harness and plugs I don’t see anything like it. Nothing like it is mentioned in trouble shooting either

Only thing I can’t see is the jumper they describe for automatic transmissions.

Does the rest of the cruise control plug is correctly to the factory harness? If so I’d test it to see if it works, I’d almost bet the p05010002aa is not part of the factory cruise control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Everything plugs in just as it should. I ran some additional tests today, tested the servo as per the FSM,seemed to do what its supposed to do.  I also had the IS notes that indicated that early on some modules with specific date codes may have had issues, and were to be replaced. My module was not one of the effected units.

I also checked the speed sensor per the FSM for AC voltage its supposed to be .9V @ 30mph. I came in a little high @ 1.05.

Then I did the jack up the truck, put the rear axle on jack stands, turn on the truck, push on the go pedal to about 30 mph. Then I hit the ON switch, and pushed the SET button, everything engaged at 30 mph, BUT! accelerated to 55/65 mph, then dropped back down to 30mph, as soon as it hit 30 zoomed back up to 55/65, and it went like that till I hit the brake pedal. Did it again, this time it repeated and I used the off switch.

So it turns on and disengages with the pedal and the switch, but now I have to figure out why its zooming up and then settling down and zooming up again. Without that PC-1-R cruise control tester, I am thinking the module might be the culprit. But I do know it works, without the mystery harness, just not correctly. Could the harness have something to do with the acceleration from the set speed? Or is the module fubar, and thats what is causing the issue. 

Good observation, load might control or have an effect on the CC, the adjustments are pretty straight forward, the FSM has initial setting recommendations, which were what I had set the module to. I looked closely at the board. I don't see any burned circuit paths, loose bits, that are soldered to the board. I am no electronic engineer, so I don't even know what half the stuff is on that board(module). I do know that the three adjustments are potentiometers, some variable voltage adjustment for the rest of the board functions. Road test today to see if the load of the truck offsets the RPM acceleration.