Jump to content

MJ tire rub issue


Recommended Posts

88 mj 4.0 4wd. Has RC 4.5 lift with drop down swaybar brackets. I put on Ravines with 31/10.50-15 bfg's.

My problem I seem to be having is the tire is rubbing the passenger side swaybar link mount. The part attached to the axle. It seems to only happen on the passenger side when turning to the left. Right side does not touch.  Would this be an issue of the 10.50 on this rim it do I need a 1/4 spacer?? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

W/o seeing a full shot of your front suspension it's going to be just guesswork. Was this happening before the Ravines? Is your left side steering adjustable stop bolt intact? The wheels shouldn't turn that far unless is broken off or your camber is horribly off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

 

This too. With an RC 4.5 lift you needs an adjustable track bar for sure. Need to see a full shot of what's there, like this:

5a769a9461616_SmallRightLeft.jpg.f46c3c9c47b98cd84fdf9918c8721979.jpg

Well I know for sure it's not adjustable track bar on my truck. I don't know if it's part of the kit or not?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

W/o seeing a full shot of your front suspension it's going to be just guesswork. Was this happening before the Ravines? Is your left side steering adjustable stop bolt intact? The wheels shouldn't turn that far unless is broken off or your camber is horribly off.

The steering stops on both sides are intact. When the passenger side gets to touching it's stop that's when the tire is just about touching the swaybar link mount.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Ravines are the only wheels I have for the truck. I got the truck from a yard saved it. It was missing the wheels and engine when I got it was sitting on the rotors and drums. Those are replaced now along with new upper and lower ball joints. I will get a front pic of it tomorrow. Thanks for your replies Soo far!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you're able to drive it on the street, I'd suggest taking it to an alignment shop and paying them just to put it on the machine and give you a reading of how far (in degrees) the wheels turn in each direction. My best guess is that it's not going to be equal. If the track bar isn't adjustable, it's virtually certain that the axle isn't centered but I'm having trouble visuaslizing how that could affect the tire/rim rubbing on the sway bar bracket.

 

I think I'd consider just adjusting the stop until it doesn't rub.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Eagle said:

If you're able to drive it on the street, I'd suggest taking it to an alignment shop and paying them just to put it on the machine and give you a reading of how far (in degrees) the wheels turn in each direction. My best guess is that it's not going to be equal. If the track bar isn't adjustable, it's virtually certain that the axle isn't centered but I'm having trouble visuaslizing how that could affect the tire/rim rubbing on the sway bar bracket.

 

I think I'd consider just adjusting the stop until it doesn't rub.

I have that in the plan to do next. I just did the tape measure from tire to tire best I could tonight to get the toe close for driving.  Would offset ball joints help this situation much?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

don't even think about offset balljoints until you've got the rest of it correct.  :thumbsup:   those are a desperate measure.  it is far more likely that your "lift" is not put together right.  :(  

do you still have stock upper control arms?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Pete M said:

don't even think about offset balljoints until you've got the rest of it correct.  :thumbsup:   those are a desperate measure.  it is far more likely that your "lift" is not put together right.  :(  

do you still have stock upper control arms?

Ok. Yes stock upper arms are still in place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Offset ball joints don't affect toe-in or axle centering. and would not help the problem described in the opening post. Adjustable control arms also won't help this problem. Does anyone know what the backspacing is on the ravine wheels? I don't, but if they are 8-inch wheels I'll take a guess that they have 5-1/2" backspacing and that the extra quarter of an inch is what's making the difference. So either adjust the steering stop bolt, or run quarter inch spacers. (Or even 1/8" spacers might do it.)

 

[Edit to add] MJ factory 15x7 rims are 5-1/4" backspacing. I've found three different Jeep-oriented sites that all agree the Ravines have 5-1/2" backspacing and that with large tires they can cause rubbing. So the cause of the problem here is simply the wheels, and the most direct solution is just to adjust the steering stop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Offset ball joints don't affect toe-in or axle centering. and would not help the problem described in the opening post. Adjustable control arms also won't help this problem. Does anyone know what the backspacing is on the ravine wheels? I don't, but if they are 8-inch wheels I'll take a guess that they have 5-1/2" backspacing and that the extra quarter of an inch is what's making the difference. So either adjust the steering stop bolt, or run quarter inch spacers. (Or even 1/8" spacers might do it.)

I was considering maybe a 1/4 spacer. I was messing around with washers last night in the garage just for measurements.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, 88jeep1 said:

IMG_20180204_125649531_LL.jpg

 Can't see the whole end-to-end of the drag link and track bar, but they are no where near parallel. Also how long are those aftermarket LCAs? Looks like the UCAs are stockers.

 

Also for better clarity I merged your pics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...