MJ tire rub issue

88 mj 4.0 4wd. Has RC 4.5 lift with drop down swaybar brackets. I put on Ravines with 31/10.50-15 bfg's.

My problem I seem to be having is the tire is rubbing the passenger side swaybar link mount. The part attached to the axle. It seems to only happen on the passenger side when turning to the left. Right side does not touch.  Would this be an issue of the 10.50 on this rim it do I need a 1/4 spacer?? 

W/o seeing a full shot of your front suspension it's going to be just guesswork. Was this happening before the Ravines? Is your left side steering adjustable stop bolt intact? The wheels shouldn't turn that far unless is broken off or your camber is horribly off.

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

does the axle appear to be centered left-right in the truck?  what track bar is there?

This too. With an RC 4.5 lift you needs an adjustable track bar for sure. Need to see a full shot of what's there, like this:

5a769a9461616_SmallRightLeft.jpg.f46c3c9c47b98cd84fdf9918c8721979.jpg

9 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

This too. With an RC 4.5 lift you needs an adjustable track bar for sure. Need to see a full shot of what's there, like this:

5a769a9461616_SmallRightLeft.jpg.f46c3c9c47b98cd84fdf9918c8721979.jpg

Well I know for sure it's not adjustable track bar on my truck. I don't know if it's part of the kit or not?

22 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

W/o seeing a full shot of your front suspension it's going to be just guesswork. Was this happening before the Ravines? Is your left side steering adjustable stop bolt intact? The wheels shouldn't turn that far unless is broken off or your camber is horribly off.

The steering stops on both sides are intact. When the passenger side gets to touching it's stop that's when the tire is just about touching the swaybar link mount.

The Ravines are the only wheels I have for the truck. I got the truck from a yard saved it. It was missing the wheels and engine when I got it was sitting on the rotors and drums. Those are replaced now along with new upper and lower ball joints. I will get a front pic of it tomorrow. Thanks for your replies Soo far!

If you're able to drive it on the street, I'd suggest taking it to an alignment shop and paying them just to put it on the machine and give you a reading of how far (in degrees) the wheels turn in each direction. My best guess is that it's not going to be equal. If the track bar isn't adjustable, it's virtually certain that the axle isn't centered but I'm having trouble visuaslizing how that could affect the tire/rim rubbing on the sway bar bracket.

I think I'd consider just adjusting the stop until it doesn't rub.

6 minutes ago, Eagle said:

If you're able to drive it on the street, I'd suggest taking it to an alignment shop and paying them just to put it on the machine and give you a reading of how far (in degrees) the wheels turn in each direction. My best guess is that it's not going to be equal. If the track bar isn't adjustable, it's virtually certain that the axle isn't centered but I'm having trouble visuaslizing how that could affect the tire/rim rubbing on the sway bar bracket.

I think I'd consider just adjusting the stop until it doesn't rub.

I have that in the plan to do next. I just did the tape measure from tire to tire best I could tonight to get the toe close for driving.  Would offset ball joints help this situation much?

don't even think about offset balljoints until you've got the rest of it correct.  :thumbsup:   those are a desperate measure.  it is far more likely that your "lift" is not put together right.  :(  

do you still have stock upper control arms?

23 minutes ago, Pete M said:

don't even think about offset balljoints until you've got the rest of it correct.  :thumbsup:   those are a desperate measure.  it is far more likely that your "lift" is not put together right.  :(  

do you still have stock upper control arms?

Ok. Yes stock upper arms are still in place.

Offset ball joints don't affect toe-in or axle centering. and would not help the problem described in the opening post. Adjustable control arms also won't help this problem. Does anyone know what the backspacing is on the ravine wheels? I don't, but if they are 8-inch wheels I'll take a guess that they have 5-1/2" backspacing and that the extra quarter of an inch is what's making the difference. So either adjust the steering stop bolt, or run quarter inch spacers. (Or even 1/8" spacers might do it.)

[Edit to add] MJ factory 15x7 rims are 5-1/4" backspacing. I've found three different Jeep-oriented sites that all agree the Ravines have 5-1/2" backspacing and that with large tires they can cause rubbing. So the cause of the problem here is simply the wheels, and the most direct solution is just to adjust the steering stop.

6 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

This is what a properly aligned steering system should look like. The track bar should be parallel with the drag link. We really need a good overall look at what you have.

AlignmentSmall.jpg.5573db5df8c70d17c75e1ef39e96966e.jpg

I'm going to get a pic right now.

4 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Offset ball joints don't affect toe-in or axle centering. and would not help the problem described in the opening post. Adjustable control arms also won't help this problem. Does anyone know what the backspacing is on the ravine wheels? I don't, but if they are 8-inch wheels I'll take a guess that they have 5-1/2" backspacing and that the extra quarter of an inch is what's making the difference. So either adjust the steering stop bolt, or run quarter inch spacers. (Or even 1/8" spacers might do it.)

I was considering maybe a 1/4 spacer. I was messing around with washers last night in the garage just for measurements.

37 minutes ago, 88jeep1 said:

IMG_20180204_125649531_LL.jpg

Can't see the whole end-to-end of the drag link and track bar, but they are no where near parallel. Also how long are those aftermarket LCAs? Looks like the UCAs are stockers.

Also for better clarity I merged your pics.