Tail light harness connector 87-92 in MO

schardein

This is a tail light harness connector from an 87 MJ.  I've pulled one from an 86 before and it was different, and this one is the same as the one in my 91, so I am guessing they are the same from 87-92.

I used one just like this to make my own trailer wiring connector without having to cut into any of my factory wiring.

Interesting note, this connector has two unused cavities in it, so one could run to more circuits through it if they were adding something to the rear of their truck.  (would need the male and female terminals, and rubber seals)

I have pics of the disconnected male and female ends if needed.  There is a good 6" of wire on both ends to splice into.

$20 shipped.

IMG_9994.JPG

• 2 years later...
On 11/26/2017 at 6:05 PM, schardein said:

This is a tail light harness connector from an 87 MJ.  I've pulled one from an 86 before and it was different, and this one is the same as the one in my 91, so I am guessing they are the same from 87-92.

I used one just like this to make my own trailer wiring connector without having to cut into any of my factory wiring.

Interesting note, this connector has two unused cavities in it, so one could run to more circuits through it if they were adding something to the rear of their truck.  (would need the male and female terminals, and rubber seals)

I have pics of the disconnected male and female ends if needed.  There is a good 6" of wire on both ends to splice into.

$20 shipped.

IMG_9994.JPG

Yes I know this was 3 year ago. Any chance you still have it? After about 5 hours of searching I think I found them new. I would like to check on a set that isn't an important part of my truck. I have both sides coming that should be here the first of the year. If it works out I will definitely do a thread on it. Hopefully everyone can have 4 way trailer wiring without chopping up MJ harnesses.

44 minutes ago, schardein said:

Sorry, no I don’t. But I’m interested to see what you come up with. 

Thank you for the reply.

32 minutes ago, Minuit said:

That looks for all the world to be an Aptiv/Delphi Metri-Pack 150 series connector. Common in many GM applications and readily available as bare contacts.

You are correct from what I can tell. If the to connectors I have coming are correct. I should be able to make a plug and play 4 wire trailer harness for under $40. We will see what the new year brings.

1 hour ago, schardein said:

Here are the other pics of that connector:

IMG_9995.JPG

IMG_9996.JPG

That's a mixed connector. Five 150 series pins, two 480 series. Connector assembly P/N 12059472 for the male connector, 12052200 for the female. You'll need one each of 12052486 and 12052199. Those are the terminal locks. Those are Delphi part numbers, not Jeep part numbers.

These are great connectors to have in your arsenal if you dabble in wire harnesses. Widely supported and not terribly expensive, plus since GM loves them so much, it's not hard to find the parts. Mouser is my preferred source for Delphi products.

They also make "unsealed" connectors that are sprinkled liberally in older Jeeps. Lots of connectors in the dash harness are various pin counts of unsealed 150 series, including the '86 and '87 radio connectors as well as the '87 up clock connectors.

6 minutes ago, Minuit said:

That's a mixed connector. Five 150 series pins, two 480 series. Connector assembly P/N 12059472 for the male connector, 12052200 for the female. You'll need one each of 12052486 and 12052199. Those are the terminal locks. Those are Delphi part numbers, not Jeep part numbers.

What would be cool, is to find this connector commonly used on a Silverado or Tahoe, that are plentiful in the pick n pull yards.

10 minutes ago, schardein said:

What would be cool, is to find this connector commonly used on a Silverado or Tahoe, that are plentiful in the pick n pull yards.

The mixed Metripack connectors might be a little tricky to find, but the "normal" ones are all over GM products of pretty much any year. Would be a cheap way to harvest a bunch of connector bodies and terminal locks, at least if the junkyards around you aren't picky about charging for every little thing. That way, if you ever wanted to use one without splicing, you'd just need the contacts and contact seals - or just splice in the pigtail as-is.

I've found that the replaceable die ratchet crimper I have does an excellent job of crimping Metripack contacts. That's been my go to crimper for nearly 4 years now, and it's still doing just fine.

3 minutes ago, Minuit said:

The mixed Metripack connectors might be a little tricky to find,

I used a lot of these connectors in my CJ when I did my LS 5.3 swap, in all cases splicing in the pigtails as you mention to save money on buying terminals. In many cases I also removed the terminal/pigtail and swapped it with another terminal/pigtail to match wire colors or wire size with what I was trying to do.   I did use several that had mixed size terminals.  However, I don't recall seeing this particular one.  I will be looking in the future though.

Just realized we are throwing a lot of info in an old for sale ad, haha.  JMO413 should start a new thread in repairs or DIY projects when his parts come in!

I was looking for and found wired connectors. 

Screenshot_20191230-215430.png.53a8a6b68dff80fd6723d38365861cbd.png

The female fits the GM transmission neutral safety switch. These were a problem back in their day. They would melt to the switch.

Screenshot_20191230-215401.png.451eb56df4bcc6a4761df6d2fb827b30.png

The male is AC Delco PT454. I paid $11 for the one I ordered now they want $40. I will try to find a cheap reliable source for it if everything works out. So I have $23 in connectors with tax. I ordered the vehicle side flat four and a tubing tree from Amazon. Got about $10 in those items. If all works well I will do a complete write up.

1 minute ago, schardein said:

Just realized we are throwing a lot of info in an old for sale ad, haha.  JMO413 should start a new thread in repairs or DIY projects when his parts come in!

One of these days, I'd like to put all of this info in a centralized spot. Not enough hours in the day...

1 minute ago, schardein said:

I used a lot of these connectors in my CJ when I did my LS 5.3 swap, in all cases splicing in the pigtails as you mention to save money on buying terminals. In many cases I also removed the terminal/pigtail and swapped it with another terminal/pigtail to match wire colors or wire size with what I was trying to do.   I did use several that had mixed size terminals.  However, I don't recall seeing this particular one.  I will be looking in the future though.

Will do. I will do a full write up if all works like I believe it should.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived