Post lift tire location problem

So I've spent the past day putting in my lift kit (4.5 springs from Hellcreek and Rubicon Express front kit) and have been taking pics to document it. I measured the leaf springs front eye to pin (25.5 approx) and rear eye to pin (30.5 approx) they both seem to be about the same but when I put the tire on and dropped it, it looks like the axle is too far forward. I just rechecked the lengths on the ground and it seems to still be correct. I know it will settle a little and move back, but there is a gap of 4.5" between the tire (235/75/15) and the nearest point of the wheel well. I have 31's I'll be putting on on monday or tuesday which will make the gap tighter... Is this a normal thing? Couldn't find any other threads about this. Would call Hellcreek and ask, but it's sunday. 

Its an 88 LWB 4.0 AX-15 D35. 

IMG_20171119_150457_025.jpg

Do you have all the trucks weight on it? It definitely shouldn't be that far forward.  You sure you didn't put the leafs on backwards?  IIRC the larger end should go toward the front in the body mount, and the smaller end in the shackle. 

Here is mine after a 4.5" Rusty's kit. Sits right in the middle. 0b761cae56047ce8ddd3bbc352023e37.jpg

2 hours ago, Dzimm said:

Do you have all the trucks weight on it? It definitely shouldn't be that far forward.  You sure you didn't put the leafs on backwards?  IIRC the larger end should go toward the front in the body mount, and the smaller end in the shackle. 

Here is mine after a 4.5" Rusty's kit. Sits right in the middle. 0b761cae56047ce8ddd3bbc352023e37.jpg

Yeah, double checked, and measured it and checked and if I turned them around the tired would be touching the fender flare towards the rear. I don't get it... The larger eye is to the front, and it seems to have the same distance eye to pin...

9 hours ago, Gubachoo said:

yes, I never removed the shackles

Right but they didn't fold towards the front after you lowered the truck off the jack? 

Here is a better picture to explain what I'm talking about. 

https://goo.gl/images/g33NkQ

You sure they are MJ leafs and not XJ leafs? They are different sizes and often XJ parts are sold as MJ even though they aren't the same.  What is the measurement from eye to eye straight across?  XJs are 51.5" across and MJs are 57"

post-147281-13129826371740047214.jpg

9 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

Right but they didn't fold towards the front after you lowered the truck off the jack? 

You sure they are MJ leafs and not XJ leafs? They are different sizes and often XJ parts are sold as MJ even though they aren't the same.  What is the measurement from eye to eye straight across?  

hmm I didn't consider that. I'll check

14 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

You sure they are MJ leafs and not XJ leafs? They are different sizes and often XJ parts are sold as MJ even though they aren't the same.  What is the measurement from eye to eye straight across?  

Yeah, laid them on top of my old springs and everything matched up except the rate of arch

Yes. the rear shackles should be angled down toward the rear bumper. The more weight you have on them the greater the rearward angle will be. I asked where are your are your shackles because you should be able to see them from the side view at the angle you took your picture.  Here's a better pic; the right side of the pic is the rear end on the truck. 5a12447a03f8e_TeraflexShackle.thumb.jpg.56886852d8a693fd3e857194f396ffff.jpg

You should have three holes on the bottom of your perches, one round and two square. Move the axle back so that the pin is in the forward square hole and see how that looks. You may have to drill a hole in your spring plate to match. 

I'd call, email a pic, to whomever you got the springs from. 

1 hour ago, HOrnbrod said:

Did you get any paperwork from Hell Creek for your MJ lift springs? If so, what is the spring part number on the invoice? They used to make their own springs, but now they are just resellers. 

No paperwork, just springs with shipping labels on them. I laid them on top of the old ones, and checked the measurements and, with the exception of the extra leaf and extra arch, were the same as the stock ones I pulled out. Yeah, they shipped directly from Atlas Spring. Hmm... I'll call him tomorrow. And I checked the shackles, although they are not the same that you have (lifted shackles you have there?) they are oriented in the same way. It seems my gap is close to or equal to the gap you have. I assume you have no issues with yours? Can I ask what suspension you have under there? Thanks.

1 hour ago, Jeep Driver said:

You should have three holes on the bottom of your perches, one round and two square. Move the axle back so that the pin is in the forward square hole and see how that looks. You may have to drill a hole in your spring plate to match. 

I'd call, email a pic, to whomever you got the springs from. 

I will double check, but I remember my perches only having a center hole. I plan on calling Hellcreek tomorrow to ask him about it. I don't have a problem drilling the spring plate (except that I have to take it all out again...) but drilling the perch would be a tough proposition. Or at least an annoyingly time consuming one...I'll check all this and call tomorrow and hopefully have an update. 

As an aside, the slip yoke didn't bottom out at compression, so I took it for a test drive around the block a few times and all seems to be good. Will do a short write up on the lift and install since I haven't seen one up here when I searched. Might be helpful for people. Thanks for the help guys. 

Just now, DirtyComanche said:

And this is why I don't believe in aftermarket lift springs...  Or part of the reason.

But what is the alternative? I tried to do the research and paid a little more money for what people said were the better made components. I agree and would love to stick with OEM, but for lift springs... what choice do we have?