D35 vs. D44 drums, brake parts interchage?

Well,

I finally made my NC trip (successfully) and swapped the XJ'44 I got for an MJ one, but the new axle needs all new brakes. Are 35 and 44 brake parts interchangeable? Specifically:

*backing plate

*brake "bar" and adjuster

*drums

I'm going to take some of the old stuff off the 44 to the 'yard this weekend to see if they'll fit on a 35. Spring kit, anchors, and wheel cylinders I'm going to buy new, but I'd like to save some coin on the other stuff by recycling if I could :)

TIA,

Jeff

If I remember right the D35 drums are 9" , and the D44 are 10" so there will not be many parts interchangeable.

Not completely true.

Some early XJ's had 10" drums on D-35's, but they are 10" x 1.75" rather than 10" x 2 .5" drums on the D-44

I had to swap a backing plate from one XJ d44 to my New MJ d44 the brakes where 10" / 2.5" wide the D35 I have are 10" /1.75" wide I called to see I could use the d35 baking plates and was told no.

It would be a nice time for a ZJ disk upgrade though :D

Well, PartsAmerica lists different part #'s for drums for each, so I guess that answers that....

Cabz, that was my alternative plan #2, and I just might do that. Would I have to upgrade my MC to accomodate rear discs? No biggie, but I just put a new MC in and it'd be a shame if I yanked it out...

I'm gonna research it a bit more, but doesn't the swap use ZJ '35 disc asssemblies? Those I could score for cheep from the 'yard :)

Pat, that was my option #1. I could just pull a complete set of 35 brake assemblies and bolt them on...they're a dime a dozen at the 'yard. But I like the thought of rear discs.

Thanks all,

Jeff

So....from the looks of it, then:

*crown vic rotors

*TJ bearing retainers (slightly modified)

*bootyfab engineer the e-brake cables

and you can have discs. Coool. I'm gonna go parts hunting this weekend. I'm planning on replacing the old shaft bearings/seals anyhow, so it sounds like a plan.

I'll plan on posting a thread up in the new "Projects" forum, but don't hold your breath. Might take awhile 'till it's all done :)

Thanks for the info 'manche!

Jeff

So....from the looks of it, then:

*crown vic rotors

*TJ bearing retainers (slightly modified)

*bootyfab engineer the e-brake cables

and you can have discs. Coool. I'm gonna go parts hunting this weekend. I'm planning on replacing the old shaft bearings/seals anyhow, so it sounds like a plan.

I'll plan on posting a thread up in the new "Projects" forum, but don't hold your breath. Might take awhile 'till it's all done :)

Thanks for the info 'manche!

Jeff

no problem. I've been web wheeling hard, and I soak up info at a stupid pace.

Besides, all the cool kids are doing discs in the rear, don't you wanna? ;)

Would I have to upgrade my MC to accomodate rear discs? No biggie, but I just put a new MC in and it'd be a shame if I yanked it out...

IF you go to rear discs, use a woodscrew to pull the seat out of the rear line output at the master cylinder. Remove the check ball and reinstall the seat, then the rear brake line. You'll be good to go.