4x4 coversion questions ( please help!)

I have an 87 base comanche w a 2.5l and a 4spd 2wd i love this truck its my first one but i want to do a 4x4 conversion. the problom I'm having is i want to keep the 4cyl which is making it hard for me due to the small number of 4x4 comanches or cherokees. anyway i bought a 99 cherokee that I'm going to use the front and rear axles, suspension and the tc linkage out of I'm like 99% sure all that will work easily for me other than switching it to a spring over in the rear. my ultimant question is the transmission i did sum homework and found that the transmission I'm getting should work which is a 5spd trans and transfer case out of a 95 wrangler. the only thing i know that is different is that the tc is clocked a bit more than one oit of a cherokee I'm not real concerned w losing 2-3" of tc clearance. that os what I'm getting for parts to do this swap. if anyone has any experiance or knowledge about the conversion I'm doing any feed back would be greatly appreciated. again 87 comanche 2wd 4spd 2.5l i bought a 99 cherokee for axles suspention and tc linkage and a 95 wrangler tranny and transfer case (ax5) i think yes ik the ax15 is way stronger but oit of my price range right now. please let me kno if anyone knows the parts i got will work befor i disasemble my daily driver. o and i also am aware ill most likley have to make drive shafts. thanks for any info

added some punctuation for you.  periods go a long way towards making your thoughts readable.  :thumbsup:

what's the gear ratio in your new axles?  what size tires are you looking to run?

car-part.com can help with junkyard searches, though the part numbers changed over the years so you'll need to plug in various years and models even though it'll all swap.

Yeah, sry for the spelling and punctuation.the parts cherokee i bought I'm not exactly sure what ratios its has, i bought it off my brother inlaw for $100, so i didnt think to indepth.i guess even if it dosent have a ratio i can use ill get my money back in scrap. What do u think i should look for ratio wise? Being that i plan on keeping the little 4cyl.. Thanks for the imput tho...

If you go spring over you're going to have a lot of lift for 31" tires.  Or do you mean switch the XJ axle to spring under?  They're spring over from the factory (but the spring perches are in the wrong place, don't try just bolting it up).

For gears you will want something low.  If the 4L XJ is an auto, it will have 3.55s, if it's manual it will be 3.07.  Neither would be terribly desirable.  4.10 or 4.56 would be better.

Also the clocking on the tcase out of the Wrangler should be higher, IIRC, it's the transmission that's drilled differently either way.

Reclocking the AX5 is the simplest part of your swap, nothing to it. Just take your time drilling the holes, and yes, you'll want to worry about the clearance. 

orXwXWf.jpg

D5hOjy2.jpg

I scour the SE often looking for 2.5 MJ/XJ (looking for a flywheel now) and they are virtually non-existent. Take what you can get and regear later. 

Ok thats all going into the though process now.yes I'm doing the cherokee axles in the comanche as a spring over setup.i never looked to see if it was possible to reclock the tc,thats so simple that its worth doing even if i didnt need to worry bout clearance.so yes, ill re lock the tc and c how gearing goes like was said if its that bad ill do it later. As for the spring over setup,i new id get a lil lift doing that guess for now ill vet spring spacers to make the front ride height match, until i can afford a proper lift or leveling kit.hey ill post in the classifieds later but anyone needs watever is left from the cherokee wen I'm dun getting my axles ill be selli g everythi g else cheap good auto trans transfer case 4.0 engine and body stuff brand new rad also.just a heads up! But anyway like i said before everyones feed back is more appreciated then u kno! Thanks

Reclocking the AX5 is the simplest part of your swap, nothing to it. Just take your time drilling the holes, and yes, you'll want to worry about the clearance. 

I thought it would barely clear the floor when clocked that way?  It used to be somewhat common for guys to drill to the YJ/TJ clocking, or swap the trans, as it gave you a lot more belly clearance.  Or maybe you need to massage the floor?  I don't recall, I always just raised the tranny mount.

As for the spring over setup,i new id get a lil lift doing that guess for now ill vet spring spacers to make the front ride height match, until i can afford a proper lift or leveling kit.

At 6" you need a real lift kit for the front.  Lower control arms/upper control arms (or long arms of some sort), track bar + bracket, shocks, swaybar links, brake hoses, springs, the steering should be upgraded, etc...  It will be undriveable and a public hazard if you half @$$ it at that height.

If you use a bellhousing from a 2.5L Dakota its designed to take an AX15 or NV3550 transmission.

Then you'd have the durability of an easier to find 4.0L transmission behind the 2.5L.

This should be the right one,

but please do your own research if you decide to go this route;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Cherokee-Wrangler-Dakota-AX15-AMC-2-5L-Bellhousing-94-ext-slave-cyl-type-/401290058095?hash=item5d6ec0596f:g:SvkAAOSwZVlXjFLD&vxp=mtr

I could see a small Turbo turning a 2.5L with an AX15 into a fun ride.  :yes:

Holy sh#t!wow did i get lucky that, trans and transfer case i was suppose to get out of a wrangler ended up i went to pick it up and the guys said o by the way that came out of a 4cyl 4x4 cherokee!! WAAT!! So yeah i got the right trans and tc out of a 96 cherokee so with that said the tc is clocked right the front driveshaft i thinl will bolt in and it has an extetnal slave to boot!! So now i got the giy ch3cling to see if he still has the rest of the truck so i can get axles w the right ratios too!!

Yes, agian when i add to the page from my phone my spelling and punctuation is butchered sorry.. Anyway I'm looking at this trans the only difference i see is a external slave and a electric speedo senser!?! Am i correct? The speed sensor should come out and my speedo cable go in other than changing my master cylinder and hydraulic line too this thing should virtually bolt in and work perfect right? I got excited befor i measured, the rear drive shaft will still need made unfortunately, but looks like the fromt will work let me kno if anyone lnows if this will work like i think..

Yeah, the front driveshaft will work fine.  Rear will need to be shortened.  If you're at all considering a SYE, now is the time to do it; it isn't really needed on a MJ but I run one for reliability and convenience reasons.

Depending on what speedo setup is on it you may just be able to unthread it and thread the speedo cable on without having to pull the gear out.  It was the case for the 93? tcase that is my MJ.  However there's a good chance you're going to need a different gear and to index the gear differently anyways.

Yeah ill end up shortening my driveshaft but the speedo gear change? What is all in involved w that? Oh and while I'm thinking about it, will my crossmember work without modifications being that it is a cherokee trans? I only keep asking these basic questions caz i want to no everything befor i tear apart my daily driver and get stuck waiting for parts or whatever

The crossmembers are the same.

Speedo gear will need to be changed if there was a gear ratio or tire size change.  If there's both a ratio and tire size change sometimes it works out.  There's charts out there showing which one is needed given tire size and ratio.  There is differences regarding the style of the gears and the gear holders, I don't know the rhyme or reason to it and just keep spare early style gears on hand because that's all I ever use.