quick axle swap question

going to get a 97-01 Cherokee 8.25 29 spline Monday from a junkyard.

will i need to resize my drive shaft to fit?

what years of liberty's can i get disc brakes from?

is there anything i need to keep in mind for this swap other then bigger U bolts and spring perches?

I used the same driveshaft but I am SOA. Remember to set the pinion angle to the tcase output angle if running single ujoints at each end. '02-'07 liberty for sure. Not sure about '08- newer.

SOA?

i have a 5 spd short bed if that helps.

Found a guy selling a dana 44A from a ZJ,  98 i think

is this a good swap of not worth the time and hassle?

guy wants $50 for it.

is there any gears / lockers for it????

thanks for the help !!!

not planing on going above 4.11 gears / 35's or on towing anything other then a light boat or work trailer

vand

• 11 months later...

did a tire repair on a jeep commander the other day and got a good look at the rear axle, it's a beast

what info i found says it's a American Axle & Manufacturing 830 (AAM830).

said to be as strong or stronger then a dana44.

anyone tried this swap? it's got disc brakes and a ELSD from the info i read.

51 minutes ago, vandior2001 said:

did a tire repair on a jeep commander the other day and got a good look at the rear axle, it's a beast

what info i found says it's a American Axle & Manufacturing 830 (AAM830).

said to be as strong or stronger then a dana44.

anyone tried this swap? it's got disc brakes and a ELSD from the info i read.

Let us know what you find out.  I thought they came either either the Chryco 8.25 or the D44HD (which is an odd duck of an axle, and not to be confused with the old D44HDs).  A lot of AAM stuff is a bit of a pain because there is little aftermarket support, similar to the D44HD...

quick question seeing as i just bent my rear axle ............. ya for ice and deep ditches.

if i get a Chry 8.25 or a aam 830  will my drive shaft still work or will it be to long / short?????

also anyone know where i can get a short bed? complete hopefully.

The Chrysler 8.25 and the XJ/MJ Dana 44 are both approximately 1-inch longer than the dana 35. I have no idea about the AAM 830 -- I've never seen one, and don't recall ever hearing/seeing it discussed.

I think what you need to pay more attention to is the spring perch location of the axle you are buying. You seem to be new at this. Are you aware that the pinion angle and spring perch will need setup and welded if its not a comanche axle? Study the link hornbrod sent you. Now research soa and sua. Your mj is sua. The 8.25 is soa with a different width perch mount.

just got my new 4.5 lift spring (replacing my bent ones ) also ordered new upgrade spring perches and u bolts. i want to stay SUA that's why i got the new perches.

i can just measure a 8.25 as the JY has a whole line of XJ's . if i get the commander axle i know i will have to cut the 4-link stuff off. Just need to go JY trolling.

56 minutes ago, vandior2001 said:

just got my new 4.5 lift spring (replacing my bent ones ) also ordered new upgrade spring perches and u bolts. i want to stay SUA that's why i got the new perches.

i can just measure a 8.25 as the JY has a whole line of XJ's . if i get the commander axle i know i will have to cut the 4-link stuff off. Just need to go JY trolling.

Yeah, let us know about the commander axles, PnPs are full of them now. 

The rear ELSD axle is an American Axle & Manufacturing 830 (AAM830) with an Eaton EGerodisc limited slip unit, though it will actually apply enough pressure on the clutch plates to go to full lock if needed. It is said to be as strong or stronger than the Dana 44 on the Rubicons and is a full floating axle with unit bearings. I've heard of guys blowing up the CV shafts on the front, but I haven't heard of a single rear 830 failure.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/11962-rear-axle-identification.html

307 or 373..........those are your options, apparently.