Project "Ruby" 87 rebirth, a slow 97+ conversion

Introduction Part 1

Hello everyone, Ms. Ruby and I are new to Comanche Club. I've been reading/researching here for around a month now and have decided to open my build thread. Don't expect anything quick or fancy, I only have basic wrenching experience & am physically limited. I'll be learning as I go and leaning on the experience of those here. Great job to everyone here, I thank all of you who have documented your MJ work. Not only have you given me inspiration on what my girl can one day become but also the knowhow. Because of the hard work and time you guys have taken I now at least have a grasp on what needs to be done to get her back to where she needs. This will be a very slow build so I ask for your patience and maybe a little help along the way when I have trouble. I expect that to be often since she's a old neglected girl after all.

Now lets get to the star of this thread. Ladies & Gentlemen meet Ruby!

EbERplp7.jpg

Yeah, yeah She's isn't as sexy as she was in her younger days and she no longer sings on the road. In fact she's a broken down, dirty girl. But guys it's not her fault so try not to hate on her too much, she had her keys removed years ago after she became ill. All she wants is to be beautiful and feel the wind on her face once more. Here she is trying to strike her best vogue pose. God love her, look at that one tire struggling to hold air. (Other 3 barely held the 15mins it took to push her into the garage)

0MJMgYEA.jpg

She's took her last roll on the highway around 2006, she was still breathing strong but sprung leaks in various locations. Oil, axles, power steering, brake fluid, water & gas. She was going on her 20th year of daily use and had 20 yr old gaskets all around with everyone decided they were done being worthy gaskets at the same time. Due to life happening, family was unable to do the needed repairs at the time so she was pushed out of the way. She's sat unloved since, I'm not proud of that fact and seeing her in this shape breaks my heart. She wasn't my truck when she was growing up but has been in the family since she was born so I know her well. I've had the disheartening pleasure of watching her sit quietly under the cherry tree. I would try to keep her spirits up, I would walk by as much as I could, open her doors so she could get some fresh air and ensure her that one day she would feel the road under her springs once again.

junepfRS.jpg

I never told her it was going to be easy, Good thing because damn it's not going to be easy! As you can see she's sprouted life in the form of tree moss & mold. Getting rid of the biological overcoating of green will be my first duty now that she's inside. It was cold when we moved her so opted out of giving her a bath outside. I'll give her a good Purple Power & hot water sponge bath, Old girl may appreciate the love and go easy on me in these coming months.

I guess I should go back and give everyone some history of her life. She was born in the fall of 1986, exact month unknown since door sticker is unreadable. She's stock, untouched other than stereo and unmolested. She was ordered special that year being a base model with options from other trims. She's got the idiot cluster with the station wagon steering wheel but factory AC, Vinyl bucket seats, center console, and the big old ugly elephant ear towing mirrors. 4.0L, 4x4, SWB, Auto (SW4?), NP231, Dana 30 front & Dana 35c rear(yeah I know it's a crap axle), assuming 3:55 gears?

Interesting fact about Ruby, She has never been taken off road and only put in 4wd twice during snow, around 15 miles total out of 2wd. My uncle was the original owner, He drove her until 2000. He then sold her to my parents, who only used her to pull a jet ski back & forth to the lake. She was well maintained, oil changes were kept up to date and she was a strong runner before her road life ended. My parents were both retired, had sold the jet ski and had a daily driver so they parked her beside the garage.

I came into her life a few years later, was forced to return home after I flipped my ZJ and broke my back. She was beyond simple repairs by the time I took ownership so I left her parked without any ideas on what should be done. I knew she was special since every 6 months or so people would stop to ask if she was for sale. I refused all offers, few times I could have used the cash but something wouldn't let me part with her. I've sat and looked at her, wondered what could be done but still was unsure if bothering with her was really worth all the trouble. That is until this year, I came across a picture of this beautiful rescue green MJ while just browsing images of Comanches. I pictured my old girl with a new life, new look and fresh ruby red lipstick.. She's only a dream but I was in love. That green MJ led me to this forum, Thank you Rymanrph I love your truck man! After seeing some of the work you guys have done to keep these trucks on the road I was convinced it was time to do something.

Intro - Part 2

Her interior is in good shape considering her age. She's blue, I mean man is she blue!

VgUTfEHv.jpg

And as you can see, she has grown a little moldy green inside too. Nothing that some gloves, a mask, a sponge, a bucket of hot water, some soap and cap of Clorox won't fix.

kUVTSMoP.jpg

I plan on doing a complete 97+ conversion so not sure what I will do with the interior yet. I was thinking about selling it but may be open to trading some wrench time or something. Being a mechanical noob then the fact is I'm going to need any help I can get so that may be worth more than money. I'll keep the seats & trim pieces I need, coloring to match donor interior.

Turning to her body ... That now sad, once beautiful body. Well guys I am sorry to say but it's not pretty. Time kept ticking and she's gotten old, she turned 30 last fall. She's straight as a arrow, never wrecked, but mother nature and the lonely, idle years have taken it's toll. Sadly I haven't helped, thanks to the 1st failed attempted move into the garage her butt is now sagging.

y5oJZlXf.jpg

She's got a few scary rust spots that will need attended to. This one on her right hip is pretty bad, the left has a few spots but nothing like this. To fix this my initial thought is to buy a XJ 2dr rear quarter replacement panel, Has anyone done this? I know that the wheel well is smaller on the XJ but seems easier to just cut the patch up the middle and fill the gap with a strip of the same QP. I've never done any metal work so trying to use a flat piece of steel to do it, having to bend all those lines just seems way outside of something I can get done alone. Hopefully the left side will be just a matter of a few small patches, I'm not that lucky but I am praying that's the case.

axmMgrav.jpg

The other one is just below her wings, oh man it's ugly. I'm glad she can't read this thread, she would hate me if she knew I was talking about her this way. I was going to use a piece off the QP replacement, 6" x 10" patch should do it.

50X9uwov.jpg

I didn't get any pictures but the bottom of both doors (replacing with XJ) have a few surface rust spots. Oddly enough the rockers don't look bad, I've not tore into it yet so that may change. Guessing by all the threads I have read that the drivers floor pan will probably have rust. The axles and all the suspension looks old, that's only description I have.. Old. I plan on using all that from the XJ so doesn't really scare me to bad. I'll get some pictures of that soon as I crawl under her. Frame looks great other than the rear, around the bumper mounts. Half her butt fell off without much effort from the come-along. I suspect it's more than just the bumper mounts, will see soon as it warms up.

nmBVM2iF.jpg

Inside her bed is in excellent condition as you can see there. Uncle got a custom fiberglass bed cover for her when she was new. That stayed on her for most of her life and may end up back on her, haven't decided yet. I've never seen one on any other MJ so not sure how common they are, Anyone got any knowledge on this baby?

KQSoG8DB.jpg

Leonard is the maker it seems, Tag on back of it says Kingsport, TN. I know it fits perfect and knowing the uncle he wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't made for the Comanche.

kLvShdwJ.jpg

She's got 188k original miles and the engine is old but ran strong when it last ran. The transmission felt weak before she was parked, e-brake cable broke years before, current plan is to use drive train from the donor too. I have read that the 98-99 had a better engine/drivetrain all around anyways so sounds like the logical way to go. I'm guessing the transfer case is solid, it's never really been used as previously noted.

I'll go ahead and warn anyone who is reading again, This will be a slow build, please be patient. I am on a fixed budget so the donor and any needed parts will be acquired as possible. I have never welded or done body work but I have always wanted to learn. I've always owned jeeps, started with a beast of a 79' CJ-7 as a teenager in the 80's. I would always do the simple mechanical stuff on all my Jeeps but left the major repairs to the pros so much of the process will be self educational; Thanks to the internet, Comanche Club & Youtube. I am physically disabled so limited on how much my body lets me do. I plan on wrenching on the old girl for a few hours a day when possible without rushing and eventually getting her back to being a happy driver.

Intro - Part 3

Like I said earlier, I do plan on doing the 97+ conversion. I just love how the MJ looks with the face lift and updated insides. I always felt Jeep should have kept making them (Thanks Chrysler!) so only right I was drawn to this. This truck needs so much done to it that it's not funny. Hoping to find a good donor 98-99 XJ that doesn't need much work and using as many parts off it that I can. I doubt I'll do anything fancy or go big, I would like to see her stand a few inches taller, maybe 31's but that's not on my list of things that need done. I want her back to being a daily driver and getting the constant love she deserves. She's ugly right now guys I know, but only for now.

In case anyone was wondering, maybe a few already figured it out, The old girl will be Ruby red. 1967 Chrysler Ruby Red DT3399, PPG 71552 or as close to it as I can get.

AhyFx1T7.png

Seen another MJ similar the day I saw the rescue green girl but haven't came across it on here yet. One month of reading and only on page 5 of 67 so the owner of this beauty may be part of the club. Anyone recognize her?

YQ3T5mRW.png

It'll be a budget paint job, Maybe with bedliner coating, haven't decided yet. Satin black trim, flares, bedliner, bumpers, mirrors & grill. Tinted windows and black interior. Plan on using my old seat covers as patterns for new ones in faux black leather so won't be dealing with replacing the seat brackets. I was thinking about adding heat to them also since I'll have the covers off and those units look easy enough to install. Has anyone used the after market ones? Curious if they are worth the time or not. I would like to eventually redo my headboard with xj limited overhead console and sound panel then cover with same faux leather as seats.  I know it's extra work but it's cheaper to buy the material in one large piece and do it than buy new seats and replacement headliner.

List of things that need done:

Everything - I do like the turbine wheels (I've seen they are not the most popular wheel on this forum), but they are in great shape, I painted up a set with a XJ I had and they looked good so I may keep those. If I can avoid breaking the windshield then it's in really good shape, no cracks or scratches. I know it sounds like a joke but besides those two things she needs work on every piece and part.

I will start at the back and work my way forward. First taking her completely apart, addressing the nasty then going from there. I know this is backwards but I do not have a donor yet so makes sense to work my way to the point of needing it.

List of anything else:

If I come across a MJ/XJ at the JY with a 3-4" lift then I may pull it, not concerned if I don't. I won't purchase a new lift since she will never be 4 wheeled hard. I would like to eventually get her set up to do some camping. Seen some great ideas a few of you guys are doing with trailers here so never know, Ruby first.

As you can see I have taken many ideas from you guys here, I hope nobody minds. I'm guessing some more as I keep reading build threads. I thank all you guys again, Ruby would not even be a thought without the hard work you all have already done to your rides. I'm sure I will be here often seeking help, I do hope you guys don't mind a old newbie hanging around bugging you with old questions.

Thanks for reading & Happy Jeeping!

Roper

our trucks rust from the inside-out, so be prepared that anything you see will be worse on the other side of that steel and probably need a bit bigger patch to fix.   :thumbsup:

she looks like a great project! . :MJ 1: .   

Yeah I am seeing exactly that, A good chunk of each quarter panel will need fixed. Drivers side rocker sounds hollow in a few places so I'm expecting it's bad. Inside the fenders looks good, so does the floor from underneath. I'll get a better view of the rear frame once I get that bed off, bumper mount area looks rough. I meant to get some pictures of underneath today but got distracted by dropping the fuel tank so will do that tomorrow if I feel like sliding under it.

Yeah I think so, I love that nobody has touched her because it's like having a blank canvas. it's going to be a lot of work but I knew that before I pushed it into that old garage.

Week 1

This week Ruby & I spent a few hours together in the old garage, Mother nature gave us a few nice days of warm weather. She got some fresh air and a little attention while I got covered in rust, oil & dirt. I'm pretty sure this is going to be a very one sided relationship but knew that going in. After taking a day to craft up a redneck chair to roll around on, I did manage to get a few things pulled off, gas tank, drive shaft, rear bumper & muffler. I also slide around her belly and gave her a thorough look over, It's not pretty in a few spots but in all honesty she's not as bad as I expected. I'll get the bed off and start working on the nasty once the weather warms back up, looks like Winter decided to stick around for another week so we'll see.

As promised I did get a few pictures of her underside, I told her these were private so I'd appreciate if nobody showed them to their trucks.

This is the left rear quarter, it's starting to rust underneath but as you can see here it's not near as bad as the right side from earlier post.

GazImcM2.jpg

Her rear springs will need work but neither were sagging that I could tell, all the mounts look shot. The rear frame looks ok but damn those mounts. I'm pretty sure the rear mounts (bumper, shock & spring) on drivers side were close to eating Ruby.

Tk9xvl6m.jpg

I still haven't found any bad spots on either rockers, surprising since both doors have rust spots, both floors are toast and that left side cab corner being bad.

Driver side

lvjqEcJS.jpg

Passenger side

s2VSJ9ws.jpg

As I just said the floors are toast, I've not even pulled the carpet out but I did manage to get a couple of good shots from under her. I'm not talking slightly toasted, her floor is crispy. From most other threads I've read the drivers side is normally the worst but as you can see here Ruby is not like other girls.

UOo0o9yL.jpg

I wish I had a better update for everyone but I'm going to be messing with all the nasty first so probably won't be posting anything pretty for a while. I will be working steady on the old girl so hopefully before long I'll be able to start showing some progress that isn't just rusty & old.

I did come across a nice donor XJ and will be checking it out tomorrow, I will update on how that turns out.

Happy trails MJ'ers!

Roper

Quick update on the donor I found. It's a 2001 so not as good as the 98-99 but for the price and condition I probably can't pass it up.  Seller is local, original owner, non-smoker & never took it off road. Engine bay looked clean, it never has over heated and currently runs & drives good. Owner got a new Jeep Liberty 6 years ago and the XJ hasn't been driven much since. I snapped a few pictures while I was looking at it.

Xa8IJhx6.jpg

They added the black along the bottom few years ago and these ugly wheels. Will probably sell these since I plan on using my original wheels.

Mc6RoS52.jpg

Looks like the steering box is leaking so I'll have to replace that but both axles were clean & 4wd is strong, shifts smooth too.

Front

FFKwj2mk.jpg

Rear

sXbaIyJR.jpg

Interior is like new, not sure how she drove the truck and managed to keep it this clean. Almost 17 years old and not a scratch anywhere inside that I could find.

Zx7R2fJW.jpg

Center console was removed when truck was new, owner used it on her mail route sometimes so needed to be able to slide across easy. It's sitting in the back and looks brand new.

2QxyBCYa.jpg

Even has the factory stereo, may have to dig out my old cassettes and keep this for my MJ.

3H50jJUZ.jpg

From what I can tell the rear axle and interior is worth the asking price, drive train & rest of the parts would just be an addition. I would like to get some thoughts from the guys here.

It's probably got the 0331 head but since it seems to be one of the last XJ's made then it should have the updated head correct?  If anyone can confirm my thoughts that would be very helpful, VIN 1J4FF48S71L576751   .. Vin codes for the 2000-2001, 10th digit should be Y for 2000 & Z for 2001. Since this one has 1 then did they produce it after the model year ended? Being the last year they produced the XJ then this doesn't make any sense to me, insight would be nice if anyone knows.

With the front axle being low pinion then I understand this is a downgrade from the pre-2000 high pinion. I do not plan on 4 wheeling it hard & will not be above 32's. Will this axle cause me issues? I could clean & rebuild the '87 one but seems like a costly way to go when it's going to spend most of it's time on pavement.

Weather is suppose to be bad rest of this week so I doubt I'll be spending much time with Ruby. Quick as it warms back up then I'll try to get wrenching on her and maybe even provide some updates of myself building on the 'build thread' :rotf:

Roper

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to update this week, only had 1 day that was warm enough to mess around in the garage. I tried to get the bed off but ended up just spraying more PB onto the bolts and letting it set some more. I have decided that I am going to go ahead and purchase that donor because the price is just too good to pass up.  Should that head give me trouble then I'll grab one off a ZJ 2002+, as for that LP 30 on the front I will swap it over and then use the time after to rebuild the HP 30 that is currently on the MJ.

I have however been playing around with photoshop. Got the idea the other day of doing a old Honcho type paint throw off. This is only a idea (would like to see what anyone thinks), I kind of like  it but not sure yet. Please look over my crappy photoshop coloring skills. :yes:

kIm7FjMH.png

ZpplN15l.jpg

I like it but at the same time, I've never been a fan of 2 tone so we'll see. I figured I could vinyl wrap the center sections black and see, if I don't like it then could just peel it off and leave it 1 color.

Anyways, The weather is suppose to be warm this weekend so hopefully I'll get some wrench time and a real working update. . :MJ 1: .

Roper

Man I hear you! After using a few cans in the past couple of weeks, I think I am starting to smell like that dang stuff. I hate to think of how much I'm going to need once I make it to the front end.  I thought the rust repair would be the hangup since I've never welded or done body work but it's starting to look like just getting it all apart will be the hardest job. lol

Not much to update this week, I've been turning bolts and scraping rust. Bed is ready to come off and I'm heading over the hill for few more cans of PB. I'm pretty sure everyone has seen enough rust so I'll hold off on pictures of that work. Ruby was a little upset that I've posted all her dirty pictures and never showed you guys anything with her looking snazzy. I promised her I would so here you guys go, she said she approves of you showing these to your trucks.

TH6LB2u8.jpg

As you can see, Yeah she's old but old girl is straight and she actually had a little bit of shine left under all that moss.

zYE1aTun.jpg

All the trim is faded but surprising enough the chrome pieces were still chrome.

As far as working updates, I need to clear the other side of the old garage of a what looks like pre 60's boat. Once that is gone then I'll move the bed into that side and get to working on the frame and quarter panels. For now I plan on tackling the interior and pulling the front end apart.

Side note: If anyone owns or knows someone who does own a 50-60's chevy pickup or 40's ford tractor, who are looking for hard to find parts. Have them contact me, chances are I could have stuff they have been looking for years for. This old garage has original in the box replacement parts, fuel, brake, door, lights; you name it. Grandfather passed away many years ago and this garage belonged to him, We've left it alone until now. He had at least 2 new replacement parts for what looks like everything his old truck & tractor may have ever needed on the shelves. Not really wanting to deal with trying to cataloging, pricing and selling the stuff because there is a lot of crap out there. But, I do know that there is someone out there rebuilding a old truck right now that would love to have that 1 part nobody makes anymore. Here i have it sitting on a shelf (in my way) completely brand new as it came 40 years ago. If I can help anyone find that long lost part then it's the right thing to do.  If anyone is interested or know someone who is then I can take some pictures for you.

I'm going back to spend some time with Ruby, See you guys next update. :rotf:

Roper

Sure man. It's all there but it's ugly & old. Most of the connectors look cleanish but you can see it's sat for a long time.

eOGABzgo.jpg

pqp6sIpE.jpg

As far as a update, I've started pulling the front end apart and went thru another can of PB. Pretty sure the company that makes the stuff needs to send me a thank you card. I did pick up the donor today, steering box is shady loose but rest is solid mechanically. I'll probably finish pulling the front body work apart then move to the interior. I'll update with pictures once I have something worth showing.

Cheers!

Roper

No problem! Yeah the thermostat & water pump were both replaced right before it was parked. I'm not exactly sure what I will do with this drive train yet. Leaning toward putting them in a corner and work on rebuilding it all once Ruby is rolling. That way if donor drive train ever gives me issues then I'll have a solid replacement ready to drop in. So much undecided lol All I really know at this point is I've got a ton of work ahead of me and many more rusted bolts that need to come out. :doh:

Appreciate the interest!

Roper

Month 1 concluded this week, I spent my birthday Sunday mostly messing around with Ruby. I've not broken my promise to move slow but I am making some noticeable progress. Bed & rear bumper bolts gave me one heck of a fight and Ruby made some haunting sounds but once I started moving forward things got a little easier. I did break every clip (did they make those things out of beer cans?) on the front bumper but the rest was mostly event free. Haven't seen any evidence of rodents which I expected since we've got fruit and nut trees, If I was a squirrel then a old MJ would be a perfect place to crack open a few nuts and chill. :brows:

I do have a few pictures to prove I'm actually working on the old girl. Ruby is all naked now guys!!!! Jeep porn incoming!

0e4nK1ne.jpg

Besides no power tools, some dirt, old bolts and old cobwebs this past month has been enjoyable. I am getting to know every inch of this old truck which was exactly what I wanted. Well one of the things I wanted, getting her back together and actually worthy of being called a MJ are high on that list too. :yes:

FCNyofUs.jpg

Her undersides have all been good so far besides the floor, floors are nasty. You can see the rust trying to creep up on the firewall here. Cowl sides are just dirty, that's not rust. However the door hinges do have some surface rust, I'll clean everything up good before priming. I need to check the DYI section and see if there is anything about making the doors removable, interested to see if that's worth doing for those warm summer night rides.

I am taking my time while removing the 87 parts and will keep everything organized the best I can. I kind of want to hold onto the original stuff but would be willing to part with a few things that I'm not using if it meant another MJ is on the road. I doubt I'll post anything on the classified section since I won't actively be trying to sell anything. I'd be more interested in someone giving some wrench time helping out than I would cash anyways. Weather is suppose to be crappy for the next few days so I'll probably rest my back until the weekend. Once I do get back at it then I'll start removing the interior and get that all cleaned out.

Until next time!

Roper

I have a front cab cowl clip for measurements, interior, driveline sitting in my garage. Its been there for over a year all from a 98 that i planned on doing. I just can't bring myself to do it i like it old school i guess. Id trade complete parts for if interested or give you a hella deal i'm sick of the collection need too unload it. Id rather have room to park abother mj!

I'm actually heading to sparts area Saturday to pick up a mj 44 even though i've got 3 on the shelf. I just can't help it I worry that if I don't pull it, the crusher gets in and thats why my attic, basement, garage are all full of mj parts. Precious it's mine all mine. I'm sick and need help and its become an obsession when I switched from xj to mj I hope you have more control than me.

Weekly update:

Managed to get all the interior out, no broken bolts and only delay was having to relocated a mouse who called the heater box home.. Little farker wasn't happy about losing his house but he wasn't married so he'll live. Ruby looks cold and lonely without her insides but she smells so much better without that old carpet and padding. She's been parked inside for over a month & her skin was still damp under that nasty pad. Side note: I found what looked like factory diapers under the padding but just on the passenger side. Instead of making her leak proof did they really put diapers on the old girl to soak up floor water?

Anyways I do have a few pictures, floors were ruined as I knew but seeing it face to face broke my heart. Rust was confined to just the front pans and hadn't made it far up on the firewall or tunnel so that's good. These pictures are as is when carpet was pulled, haven't poked around yet so guessing it'll get worse.

Passenger side first, Images are edits for space. Top firewall, middle front pan, bottom rear pan.

jQ8VMZPG.jpg

From the bottom it looked like the passenger side was the worse but from top the drivers side has it beat. Part of the drivers side floor is still stuck to the padding. I tried to hide it from Ruby but she knew, all I could do was reassure her that I'm going to fix it as soon as possible.  Drivers side floor picture has same image layout.

VIfWTMiL.jpg

I also went ahead and started working on the engine bay. Got the wiring and vacuum lines off and pretty much only thing left is the engine itself. I haven't rounded up a cherry picker yet so will work on dropping the axles next and then get the drive train fully ready to pull. I know I've not done anything fancy yet but seeing the progress makes me smile, never thought my old arse would be able to get this far without any help or any power tools.

KDA138rP.jpg

Oh and I came across this bad boy, It's in rough shape but can read most of it. Ruby was born 09/29/1986!  :laughin:

tkdvIlrf.jpg

That'll do it for this week. Like I said I will drop both axles next and get the drive train ready to come out. I have picked up a small welder and all that garb now just need to talk myself into learning how to do it.  Might mess with it some this week, bit intimidated about it for some reason but I'm confident that once I start doing it then I'll figure it out pretty quick. I can't have my girl riding around with crappy lines so I best figure it out quick. :crossfingers:

I hope everyone is having a good weekend! :cheers:

Roper

in 2000 the vin sequence started over.
2000 was 0

2001 was 1
then in 2011 it went back to letters.
2011 was A
2012 was B
ECT ECT ECT

It's probably got the 0331 head but since it seems to be one of the last XJ's made then it should have the updated head correct?  If anyone can confirm my thoughts that would be very helpful, VIN 1J4FF48S71L576751   .. Vin codes for the 2000-2001, 10th digit should be Y for 2000 & Z for 2001. Since this one has 1 then did they produce it after the model year ended? Being the last year they produced the XJ then this doesn't make any sense to me, insight would be nice if anyone knows.

in 2000 the vin sequence started over.

2000 was 0

2001 was 1

then in 2011 it went back to letters.

2011 was A

2012 was B

ECT ECT ECT

Ah, that makes sense, Thank you! Morris4x4center.com's page had listed Y for 2000 & Z for 2001.

That is a new location for me to look at.  Thank you.

Very welcome!