Spring Clips

Recently I picked up a set of springs off a MJ in the junkyard.

These springs have a leaf added to them.

I figure maybe the stock springs were a bit weak and someone upgraded them by adding a leaf.

Anyhow, my question is about those little clips that go arround the leafs to keep them all straight together.

One of the springs only has one of the clips, the other spring has two.

However all of these clips are loose and sliding arround, and I would simply like to replace them with new clips.

Can anyone tell me where I might find these, (don't need a whole lift kit just the clips), and also should I install them before I put the springs in the truck or after?

Thanks for any imput anyone might have. ;)

The factory spring clips are best. The el-cheapo ones you can get at auto parts stores and spring/brake shops aren't exactly great. Actually, I hate them. The factory ones are actually rivetted to the bottom leaf spring so they don't move around, but can be left loose to allow the springs to flex. Which is the major downfall of the aftermarket ones.

But it sounds like you have none of the factory ones. So, you'll have to go aftermarket... Or be like me and weld a peice of cut up HSS to the leaf spring, er, don't do that.

Thanks for the Link Eagle.

Those look like what is on there.

I am wondering though,

It seems that the springs would compress some after the weight of the truck was on them, wouldn't it be best to put those clips on at that point?

Also, I was thinking of giving them a little 'tack' with the stick welder to keep them from sliding arround?

I'm very aware of that. However, given the typical location of spring clamps (almost the ends of each bottom leaf) I don't see it as being a problem, as the amount of load carrying that is actually done by the spring at that point is very minor. And the amount of area that is within the HAZ of the weld is pretty much miniscule.

My springs haven't broken. And I've bent two top leafs....

I'm very aware of that. However, given the typical location of spring clamps (almost the ends of each bottom leaf) I don't see it as being a problem, as the amount of load carrying that is actually done by the spring at that point is very minor. And the amount of area that is within the HAZ of the weld is pretty much miniscule.

My springs haven't broken. And I've bent two top leafs....

Lol, you gotta leave shade tree mechanic work at the door!

I keep alot of stuff quite on the internet.

Yeah, aftermarket clamps suck. See if you can get ahold of a different leaf out of a different 2.5" wide pack and put it in if you've got the couple bucks. Alot of times suspension shops will let you take old springs for free.