Odd brake lights

My drivers side brake light doesn't light up until I turn on my drivers side turn signal??? So when I get in the truck only the passenger tail light will light up when the brake is pressed but if I use the driver side turn signal it'll work again? I don't even know where to start with that. Its a 1987 4.0 Auto 4x4

My drivers side brake light doesn't light up until I turn on my drivers side turn signal??? So when I get in the truck only the passenger tail light will light up when the brake is pressed but if I use the driver side turn signal it'll work again? I don't even know where to start with that. Its a 1987 4.0 Auto 4x4

Check your grounds. If you have access to a multimeter, pull your light bulbs and test the socket for continuity to ground and for +12V while someone is pressing the brake pedal, flasher on, brake and flasher on.

Then post what you're getting here and someone can probably help you out :)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

do you have a trailer wiring harness? often, these are improperly wired and can cause symptoms similar to yours.

Yes I have trailer wiring and it looks nasty. Very corroded looking and cracked. That's probably what it is. Should I remove it or take it to like a uhaul and have them install another trailer harness?

You can undo the wiring harness.  Test the lighting without the trailer harness.  Make sure the grounds are good.  Make sure you have the proper lights in the sockets.  The brake lights are dual filament lights (1057?).  

If you use/need the wiring, there is a write up in the DIY section on the proper way to do it.

You can undo the wiring harness. Test the lighting without the trailer harness. Make sure the grounds are good. Make sure you have the proper lights in the sockets. The brake lights are dual filament lights (1057?).

If you use/need the wiring, there is a write up in the DIY section on the proper way to do it.

Thank you, I will get around to doing it this weekend and ill let you know what I find