Steering wheel swap

You may also need to grab the spring that goes with the three-spoke wheel, which isn't pictured. It's the one that puts pressure on the steering lock plate. Whether or not it's because of a two-spoke to three-spoke swap I don't know, but when I bought my MJ the horn didn't work because the cancelling cam was missing. I had to find another spring because when I put in the cancelling cam the spring I had was too long and I actually bent the lock plate trying to compress it enough to put it back together. Best bet is to get everything from the same donor, eventually what I wound up doing after having to go back to the yard for more tiny little parts.

Interesting,I had a 2 spoke wheel originally and swapped in a 3 spoke and ran into the same problem you're talking about, my lock plate tool actually bent from putting too much pressure on the steering lock plate. I'll grab a spring,lock plate and cancelling cam next time I'm at the JY to see if that fixes my problem, then I'll report to you guys for future reference.

The lock plate is splined and has to go on a certain way. The spring should compress without much resistance, and definitely shouldn't bend the lock plate. It'll get seized up if the lock plate isn't put on correctly. When I put my tilt column together I had the same problem until I noticed I was putting the lock plate on the wrong way.

Canceling cams and I'm almost certain lock plates are specific to tilt vs non-tilt columns as well.

Yup. Completely different sized spring. I don't know what all had happened before I got in there, (no evidence to suggest it wasn't the original column or wheel) but there was no way in hell I was getting the lock plate back on after I put in the cancelling cam which was missing and why my horn didn't work. The horn relay was also toast, so I suspect someone was inside the column at one point and grabbed the wrong spring when putting it back together, couldn't make it work, so decided they didn't need the cancelling cam anyway and tossed it. The spring that was in there completely compressed was the same length as the junkyard XJ's was at rest. No idea where the other spring came from though, but it obviously wasn't correct. 

• 3 years later...