How to Remove the Bed?

I am trying to remove the bed so that i can fix the dents and holes it has then i will repaint it 

so it looks like i have to take these nuts off but what are these other little screws next to it for 

and does anyone know exactly how many of these bolts have to be remove to get the bed off 

2zxz9j5.jpg

Having done this for the first time on an old Chevy truck I thought the bolts came in from the top.  When I got my MJ the bed was not bolted on.  It was set on there and strapped down for the trip...it also had holes drilled in the bed (which I later found out that the PO had installed a carpet kit)  When I started asking about bolts for the bed all I got was blank stares...and the sound of crickets.  It wasn't until I looked at a real FSM that I saw how it was installed.

Start by removing the tail lights.  You're going to want to lift it off and set it on the ground and the MJ tail lights being expensive, or unobtainium, you don't want to damage them.  Just take them off, set them in a safe place.  Remove the ground wire from the driver's side tail light bucket (and don't forget to reattach it when you're done)

There are 8 "fasteners". 4 bolts and 4 studs with nuts.  Starting at just behind the cab...on either side, one up in the corner, one in front of the wheel, one behind the wheel, one at the back corner. So four on each side.  I don't remember which are studs and which are bolts.  Look through the holes in the frame.

Like said above, remove the fuel tank.  The strap bolts are usually a bear to get off and you'll likely break them.  So figure out how to get replacements, whether they're just J bolts at the hardware store (cheap) or OEM strap bolts from the dealer (not cheap).  Remove the fuel filler hose and vent hose, Remove any wiring attached to the bed. Take this opportunity to replace the filler hose and vent hose.

Then just take the bolts/nuts off (I replaced mine with SS bolts/nuts, pricey, but they won't rust) and get some help to lift the bed up and either set it upright or have a sawhorse setup with cross pieces  in advance to set it down on.  It's made of steel, so it's NOT light. Good luck...installation is the reverse of removal.

ok so i tried to remove the bed

and i got the gas tank dropped and the rear brakes bracket dropped

and disconnect the wires for the rear lights and i have removed the exhaust

i then removed the 2 bolts in the passenger front and the driver front of the bed

so the front of the bed pops up freely but the back won't 

i tried looking for bolts to remove in the back but i don't see any 

are they in the frame ? and are there two on both sides in the back?

2 bolts on the passenger front side

2m8128n.jpg

2 bolts on the driver front side

lekao.jpg

dropped the gas tank and the rear brake bracket

ncxbly.jpg

Look thru the holes in the frame in the rear corner.  Look harder for the ones up in/behind the wheel. There are 8 total and they are not in a straight line.  The bed won't lift up until at least 6 bolts are out...but there are 8.  Some will just be a bolt head, no stud, hard to see. 

• 10 months later...