Office 2007 Professional Key Needed

Eagle

I recently gave my back-up notebook computer to the retired priest from the church my late wife and I used to attend, because his computer died and he couldn't afford to buy a new one. In order to have a back-up in case something happens to the notebook I take to job sites, I pulled out my old Toshiba and set out to update it (as much as possible for an XP machine). I realized that it has a 60-day trial version of Microsoft Office 2007 Professional on it, which was never installed or activated. The agency we're monitoring projects for has standardized on Office 2010, so I'd like to be able to run this Office 2007 package for better file and operational compatibility. Can't afford to buy a new copy of Office just to thrown on a reserve computer.

Does anyone have an unused or retired license for Office 2007 Professional that they could share the product key code for? I need a key code to activate the software.

Yes, I know I can run Libre Office, but since the State has standardized on the 2010 version of Office, I'd like to run Office 2007 so I'm looking at the same (or similar) menu ribbon whether I'm on the State's computer or my notebook. I'm running Office 2010 on my primary notebook for this reason.)

Thanks. (Please contact me by PM if you have a key code I can use.)

You are gonna have a very hard time finding a key for it and an even harder time getting windows XP to work very well as it has no support at all anymore. You're best bet is to use software called Open Office. It is available online for free and works with files created by any office program (word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) I use it myself because it works flawlessly. I'm not sure how compatible with Windows XP it is anymore but it's prolly your best bet. Well.... Other than starting with a newer computer. We won't even touch XP machines at work cause they just don't work anymore really and even Vista is getting that way now. I am an Advanced Repair Agent for Geek Squad BTW.

Just so everyone who sees this knows, I'd be happy to answer any computer related questions.

I'll point out that Geek Squad is part of an outfit that sells new computers, so it's beneficial for them to say computers aren't worth fixing...

For a while I was running Office 2007 for my Mac, with a package and key I got off thepiratebay. Just a thought.

I've got a Toshiba SP4300 running XP in the garage. It's really only good for reading PDF shop manuals, but the external wifi card does a better job picking up the signal from my house than my nearly new phone does... Too bad it can't load a modern webpage quickly enough to make use of it!

Geek Squad is part of Best Buy yes but we are trained to do what is best for the customer. We actually never receive any sort of sales training beyond the protection plans. I do understand where you are coming from with that statement and unfortunately these days it is mostly about getting the highest dollar amount possible. Geek Squad is an exception in that as we still have morals. There is a huge culture that goes along with being an agent and part of that is what is best for the customer. Just as an example recently I had a teenager and his parents come in wanting a gaming computer. He had no idea what he wanted or really anything about them. I took him over to what we had and told him everything about the pre-built gaming desktops and also talked about building his own. He was very indecisive and his parents were extremely pushy and just kept telling him to drop $1200 on a pre-built. I instead wrote down some resources for him to go home and do some research and determine exactly what he wanted and to learn more about what he was looking for. Bottom line, I turned away a huge sale because I knew he could be much more happy with the outcome. Moral of the story, if you want real customer service and not a sales person, go to a Geek Squad agent, if you want to be sold on the most expensive item, go see a "blue shirt" as we call them. We are hugely segregated within Best Buy between the sales people and the Geek Squad agents and we, at least in my precinct, are very against the direction Best Buy is taking in many ways trying to push sales down everyone's throats. Customers will be more satisfied getting the help they truly need rather than being sold on a very expensive item when they would have been just as or more happy spending half as much.

Sorry for rambling you just struck the nerve that we have developed for the way sales works these days. Anyway back on topic yes pirate Bay is an option however be careful as they do contain malware sometimes.

You are gonna have a very hard time finding a key for it and an even harder time getting windows XP to work very well as it has no support at all anymore. You're best bet is to use software called Open Office. It is available online for free and works with files created by any office program (word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) I use it myself because it works flawlessly. I'm not sure how compatible with Windows XP it is anymore but it's prolly your best bet. Well.... Other than starting with a newer computer. We won't even touch XP machines at work cause they just don't work anymore really and even Vista is getting that way now. I am an Advanced Repair Agent for Geek Squad BTW.

Just so everyone who sees this knows, I'd be happy to answer any computer related questions.

I know the drawbacks of XP. My new desktop and my primary notebook both run Win 7, but the old notebook is an XP machine and I see no reason to try to replace it -- it's strictly a back-up. Plus, I have an excellent, office-grade multi-function printer that's old enough there are no drivers for it that work with 64-bit Win7, so I like having the XP machine around for the ability to use that printer and scanner.

There is a hack so you can continue to receive security updates for Windows XP. I've installed that, and it gets updated periodically.

Open Office has largely been supplanted by Libre Office. I've tried it and it will do in a pinch, but I'd prefer to use Microsoft Office because that's what we have to use at work.

Geek Squad is part of Best Buy yes but we are trained to do what is best for the customer.

Maybe in your store.

A friend of mine had a fairly new (Windows 8) Toshiba notebook that he had problems with. It came from Best Buy. When he took it back to the Geek Squad, they told him the hard drive was fried and that it would be cheaper to buy a new computer than to fix the old one. So he bought a new Toshiba (Windows 8.1) -- and promptly had trouble with that one, also. I took them both, used the system recovery utility to wipe the hard drives and reset everything to the out-of-box state, then re-installed his software. I also updated the older one from Windows 8 to 8.1. I kept both of them around for a month, playing with them. Never a hiccup. The Geek Squad flat out lied to him so they could sell him another computer. His problem was just that he's not computer savvy and he had it loaded down with toolbars on top of toolbars -- many of which carried viruses or Trojans, Once the junk was cleared out, they both functioned perfectly.

Geek Squad is part of Best Buy yes but we are trained to do what is best for the customer.

Maybe in your store.

A friend of mine had a fairly new (Windows 8) Toshiba notebook that he had problems with. It came from Best Buy. When he took it back to the Geek Squad, they told him the hard drive was fried and that it would be cheaper to buy a new computer than to fix the old one. So he bought a new Toshiba (Windows 8.1) -- and promptly had trouble with that one, also. I took them both, used the system recovery utility to wipe the hard drives and reset everything to the out-of-box state, then re-installed his software. I also updated the older one from Windows 8 to 8.1. I kept both of them around for a month, playing with them. Never a hiccup. The Geek Squad flat out lied to him so they could sell him another computer. His problem was just that he's not computer savvy and he had it loaded down with toolbars on top of toolbars -- many of which carried viruses or Trojans, Once the junk was cleared out, they both functioned perfectly.

Wow that's crazy, I'm sorry to hear that. That's a prime example of the "blue shirt" mentality Best Buy is shoving down everyone's throats.