8.8 clutch packs bad

My clutch packs gave out on my 8.8. I'm trying to decide if it's cheaper to buy a new axle or get new clutch packs. I know many will say "buy a new axle". If I go that route, it'll be at least 350$ for anew axle. 150$ for swap kit, fluids and then a few hours of labor (welding new spring perches, tubes, truss) whereas If I buy new clutch packs, I know they'll be good and with parts and labor it'd be like 400$

Buy a locker instead....???? :dunno:

Maybe but I'd like to stay LSD

How about a Truetrac or the clones of them?  I think Powertrax makes a helical gear LSD now for not too much.  Even a Truetrac can be had for a decent price if you know a dealer.

I preach upgrades over repairs.

But if you want to do it cheap, I'd just go to the boneyard and find a lower mile Exploder and pull the carrier out of it and steal the clutch packs.  Clutch LSDs to me are pretty much a waste of time and money.

How about a Truetrac or the clones of them? I think Powertrax makes a helical gear LSD now for not too much. Even a Truetrac can be had for a decent price if you know a dealer.

But if you want to do it cheap, I'd just go to the boneyard and find a lower mile Exploder and pull the carrier out of it and steal the clutch packs. Clutch LSDs to me are pretty much a waste of time and money.

Something like this?

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/dtl-913a561

and could I instal this myself or does everything have to be set up again and shimmed?

How about a Truetrac or the clones of them? I think Powertrax makes a helical gear LSD now for not too much. Even a Truetrac can be had for a decent price if you know a dealer.

But if you want to do it cheap, I'd just go to the boneyard and find a lower mile Exploder and pull the carrier out of it and steal the clutch packs. Clutch LSDs to me are pretty much a waste of time and money.

Something like this?

and could I instal this myself or does everything have to be set up again and shimmed?

Yeah, that one.

The Powertrax clone is this one: http://www.rustysoffroad.com/powertrax-grip-pro-ford-8-8.html (I wouldn't buy it from them and a better price can be had if you look around)

Unfortunately it does require a partial gear setup as it replaces the carrier.  Basically measure current backlash, and shim this one to be the same.  You would also need a new set of carrier bearings and a shim kit.  If you're paying a gear place to do it they should not charge a lot, as it is much quicker to do this than a full gear setup.

Disclaimer, I've never installed one in an 8.8, nor done any gear setup work or similar on an 8.8, and therefore I am not aware if there is any nuances or issues with doing a carrier swap in the 8.8.

Something like this?

Yeah, that one.

The Powertrax clone is this one: http://www.rustysoffroad.com/powertrax-grip-pro-ford-8-8.html (I wouldn't buy it from them and a better price can be had if you look around)

Unfortunately it does require a partial gear setup as it replaces the carrier. Basically measure current backlash, and shim this one to be the same. You would also need a new set of carrier bearings and a shim kit. If you're paying a gear place to do it they should not charge a lot, as it is much quicker to do this than a full gear setup.

Disclaimer, I've never installed one in an 8.8, nor done any gear setup work or similar on an 8.8, and therefore I am not aware if there is any nuances or issues with doing a carrier swap in the 8.8.

lol I'll stop by my local driveline shop tomorrow and ask for some pricing. Hopefully it won't be too much