Light bar amp draw has me stumped

Blue88Comanche

So my 672 watt light bar arrived today. It is composed of what should be 96 7 watt LEDs. Assuming the voltage is 12v that should put my amp draw at 56 amps. The wiring harness I have had a built in 30 amp fuse. Shouldn't that fuse blow as soon as I flip the switch? Or is it more likely I ended up with a 288 watt light bar (96 3 watt LEDs) that pulls 24 amps...

The operating voltage on these lights are up to 30v switch that in mind do you think they would be brighter on a 24v system?

Some pics of the light in action below

This shows the brightness

5741b2d0337762e826958beed0d18e40.jpg

The panoramic photo made it darker but you can make out the area of affect it has

0f2b2ed41cc53df4ea06cd113b9d521c.jpg

And a comparison between my 288w and 672w bars

Flood section

ad97b45d9fc03e701fb7aacdcfe6b7b8.jpg

Spot section

006883c6c966d1131fcf96e25c0a88f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The relay won't change the amount of amps flowing in the power circuit for the lights.  The fuse will see whatever the load is drawing.

The relay itself will draw a tiny amount when it is energized.  That is through its control circuit and will not affect the main load circuit amp draw.

Your math is correct.  The thing to do would be measure the amp draw with a meter.  If you don't have a meter for that big of a draw (not surprising), if you have extra fuses you could experiment and see what size fails.  That would give you a ballpark measure.

This is another example of sellers' LED wordsmith. They never provide the individual LED lumen output, or the total amp draw in their specs. They only provide the LED watt rating because that is what everyone is used to with incandescent lights. No way this LED bar will draw 56 A. When I want to find out the amp draw of a 12VDC load that might be over the 10A limit of my multimeter, I use my battery charger as a power supply. It has a ammeter with a 100A surge capability, with a circuit breaker will trip on anything over that. The ammeter is not precision, but it will indicate the total amp draw within 25% or so and give enough info to set up your circuit.

your relay should bring the current down before it gets to the fuse.

How so?  

also i mistakenly hit report when quoting this, i hit cancel so you shouldn't get flagged for anything.

The relay won't change the amount of amps flowing in the power circuit for the lights.  The fuse will see whatever the load is drawing.

The relay itself will draw a tiny amount when it is energized.  That is through its control circuit and will not affect the main load circuit amp draw.

Your math is correct.  The thing to do would be measure the amp draw with a meter.  If you don't have a meter for that big of a draw (not surprising), if you have extra fuses you could experiment and see what size fails.  That would give you a ballpark measure.

Yall are correct, I was misinformed. Sorry guys.

This is another example of sellers' LED wordsmith. They never provide the individual LED lumen output, or the total amp draw in their specs. They only provide the LED watt rating because that is what everyone is used to with incandescent lights. No way this LED bar will draw 56 A. When I want to find out the amp draw of a 12VDC load that might be over the 10A limit of my multimeter, I use my battery charger as a power supply. It has a ammeter with a 100A surge capability, with a circuit breaker will trip on anything over that. The ammeter is not precision, but it will indicate the total amp draw within 25% or so and give enough info to set up your circuit.

Awesome idea using the battery charger, looks like i need to get it from my brother again.

I got this message back from the seller

Sorry about that, but pease note that 672W is the theoretical wattage, we just can get this in the ideal environment.

So the actual wattage will be lower. Hope you understand this issue.

Sometimes, it could be use with this wiring kit, if can't use, you may need to buy another wiring harness.

For this issue, we can offer you $8 refund, would you like to keep it?

Thanks for your understanding!

Sorry about that, but pease note that 672W is the theoretical wattage, we just can get this in the ideal environment.

Sometimes, it could be use with this wiring kit, if can't use, you may need to buy another wiring harness.

Sounds like a tap dance.............. 

Sounds like a tap dance.............. 

they are pushing the limits of product description, but overall I'm happy with the bar.  it does what i want, it was still cheap, and i like how it looks. I'm relieved that is isn't actually 672 watts while i was prepared to run 6ga wire i wasn't looking forward to wiring it lol.

odds are it has 3 watt Cree or nock off LEDs.  its still puts out more usable area lighting than headlights.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...