Transmission problem

About 2 months ago my aw4 started "slipping" for lack of a better term, it will act up and doesn't like to shift out of first. This ONLY happens until the transmission is warm, after that it's all back to normal operation. My question is could this be something other than the clutch plates in the tranny going bad? Like say bad torque converter or valve body for example?

thanks

Okay, over the last two days I attempted loosening and re adjusting the tv cable... To no avail unfortunately. Issue still occurs.

Also I replaced the fluid back in February.

I forgot to mention some information. After sitting overnight if I accelerate EXTREMELY slow and baby it, it will shift. If I hit the pedal even slightly harder I feel it slip out of gear and I have to pull over and shift through the gears, or down shift to 1-2 on the column and try to bump shift up. Either option only fixes it sometimes. Once the tranny is warm, I see absolutely no shift issues.

Thanks

Possibly. Can be tested. But, it that TV cable isn't holding it's adjustment for some reason, the same symptoms can occur.

Easy test. Pull the TV cable tight after disconnecting it from the linkage. Fasten the end to something solid. Go drive it. 

It was dex/merc atf. It was dirty but not metallic at all.

Yeah what I meant be readjusting it was that I reset it to where it is supposed to be set each time before starting up to make sure that it wasn't somehow slipping.

Okay if I pull it from the linkage and secure it, if the tv cable is the issue will the symptom subside? Or what should I look for if that is not the case?

Yeah pretty sore but other than that I'm in good shape. Super dissapointed about my baby though. Put a lot of blood sweat and tears in this thing. Local guy has an 88 for sale for about 2k I'm probably going to take a look at it.