Shipping a vehicle

feerocknok

Has anyone here had a vehicle shipped? If so, what sort of roads, how far, and how much was it?

I'm thinking about having a vehicle shipped, and just need ballpark numbers. None of the sites will estimate unless I fill in for a quote, which I don't know the details yet to do that.

I had to set it up for my boss last year.

It was right around $1k, for LA to NW Illinois. But the original quote was $1500. It took almost 4 weeks to get the car picked up and delivered. The shipping company "lost" it for 2 weeks. This is the large company that you see advertised in classic car mags all the time. They used covered transports, that held 6 or 7 cars, and you waited until they had a truck in the pick-up area heading in your direction.

Wow, lost is? That's kinda scary.

I looked into a it a bit. But it isn't cheap for me, especially as I'd only want it done for cross-border.

Considering that it was a $15k+ antique Porsche, yes very.

Turned out whoever entered the truck info, into their tracking system entered the wrong number for the car. When I called for tracking info, the driver that had the number shown on the shipping form, kept saying he didn't have a Porsche. He didn't, it was on a different truck.

Yeah, I'll prob skip the shipping.

I'm having a hard time finding the car I'm looking for locally, but I don't think I trust people enough to buy it by only looking at pictures. I don't think that route'll be for me.

Thank you all for your input on the subject.