Clayton's on MJ?

Hey all,

I'm new to the board (Wildman sent me) and currently wheel a ZJ on 31s that's seen its better days. Given the condition it's in, I can't justify putting Clayton's on like I had planned. I am seriously considering a MJ as a possible replacement. I apologize if this has been addressed before, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer just from searching.

I am well aware that there are other long arm setups out there, but I am extremely impressed with the quality of the Clayton's kit on XJs and ZJs -- I definitely want to go with that if it works.

I was curious if anyone has installed Clayton's front XJ long arm kit on their MJ and what modifications to the kit need to be done? I understand there are some slight differences underneath and was curious how/if these differences would impact the install.

I noticed a post by Eagle in April makes it seem as if Clayton is still looking for a MJ to figure out the XJ/MJ differences, but perhaps I missed something.

Thanks!

Call up Adam @ Clayton's and talk to him.

Last time I talked to him (about 8 months ago) they were still in the search of an MJ to do a mock up and make sure it fits 100%.

If you bribe me good enough, I may pass along a 20% off coupon I have to ya for them if you end up buying... :cheers:

I could bug you about that search feature at the top of the page.... But I'll let you figure out how to use that one :D
I apologize if this has been addressed before, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer just from searching.
Rule #2: Absolutely NO apologizing for asking questions!!!

We haven't really discussed Clayton's too much. Probably only 15 guys on here are running longarms, and the only one I know of on Clayton's is $500 MJ.

What arms is ComancheOn33s/35s running?

I apologize if this has been addressed before, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer just from searching.

We haven't really discussed Clayton's too much. Probably only 15 guys on here are running longarms, and the only one I know of on Clayton's is $500 MJ.

He could have just skimmed through. Although, being he's the admin of the local club, using the same forum software, I would bet he would use the search feature.

It figures that one of the few threads I missed from the search was the one I actually wanted. :oops:

Anyways, thanks for the input everyone. I believe my question has been answered.

What arms is ComancheOn33s/35s running?

TNT all the way

:nuts: I think that Rock Krawler is one other option it will push the front axle forward about an inch or so

I'm not a big fan of the rockcrawler arms. I'd rip those off. Our breakover angle is kinda sucky if you haven't noticed, so any system with mounts that are below the frame rail is likely to get you hung up.

The only difference between an XJ and an MJ is that the MJ has an extra bracket with two more bolts to hold the cross member to the frame on each side. Clayton's cross member is a 3-piece affair, with a heavy-duty outer end for each frame rail (welded on), and a drop-out center section for doing neat stuff like changing the transmission or transfer case. Those add-on brackets are probably in the way. They could easily be cut off, since the Clayton's cross member doesn't need them anyway.

Due to differences in transmission length, there are two possible mounting locations for the STOCK cross member. Look at the frame rails, and you'll see an extra hole, either ahead of your cross member or behind it depending on which setup you have. These are referred to as the "10-inch specification" and the "14-inch specification." The distance, I think, is measured from the frame LCA pocket back to the cross member. Those would be the same for an MJ as for an XJ, since they used the same transmission and transfer case options.

If anyone knows for sure that Clayton is still looking for an MJ for prototyping, we should find out what happened to the MJ I turned over to Detours for prototyping a longbed rear bumper. If he's not doing anything on the bumper, the truck should be passed along to Clayton.