Trade my cherokee for a D60?

DirtyComanche

I dunno... I just got offered a dodge front D60 in trade for my XJ. And maybe I can talk him into a chevy 14B rear to go with it...

The thing is, it's tempting... But, I don't exactly have plans to go to 1-tons yet. And a dodge D60 wouldn't be my first choice.

And I want to sell my XJ for cash so I can buy a MIG. Yeah, I want a MIG. It's jsut easier. I think I'm spoiled though. Hmm...

Yeah, this is a newer dodge so it is driver's drop at least.

The ford one is better, but actually weaker in stock form. I'd like the HP though. Hate LP axles after putting in my waggy D44 front.

I might have to take it and use it as a barter tool later though.

Ford D-60s are out there. :brows:
Yea, I just passed up a front HP/KP 60 out of a 79 ford, with matching rear 60. $200 was the tag on em. I gotta get Rockwells though for the project those would have gone under...

Gotta love JY finds... Actually, there is another truck like that sitting there, and I could get the axles for the same price.

Yeah, this is a newer dodge so it is driver's drop at least.

The ford one is better, but actually weaker in stock form. I'd like the HP though. Hate LP axles after putting in my waggy D44 front.

I might have to take it and use it as a barter tool later though.

Newer Dodge's had the HP, but with ball joints, right?

It should. AFAIK it's the same as the one in the front of my 3/4t diesel. Just his axle has 4.10s and mine has 3.55s. The link moutns and coil buckets aren't useful though.

Too bad 4.10 is too low for my diesel anyways. And not really low enough for the MJ...

Sounds like he's got a chevy 14B with 4.10s that can go with it too...

The problem is, I'd still rather have cash. I have 2 axles in my garage, 2 sets of extra axleshafts for one of them, and a bare housing outside.

Dunnnoooo.

Well, with a little farther research, the dodge D60 might be a real pile. I have a 94 CTD, so I checked to see what the specs were on it...

It has 30 spline 1.31" inners. The same as a D44. And 33 spline 1.34" outers. So, the 94 axle definatly isn't very good.

However, they changed to a 32 spline inner and 33 spline outer setup in 98. So, if it was a 98 plus it might be worthwhile.

However, with more searching I find that the carrier break is between 3.55 and 4.10, so I can't swap the 3.55 gears onto the newer carrier. However, most likely the only change they made to them was in the side gears, which would swap. So potentially I could use it to upgrade my tow rig. But nothing else seems worthwhile. The gains for using it in MJ aren't really there. It's a D60, and yeah, it's possibly stronger than a 30 spline (outer) chevy/ford one. But it's not a huge upgrade from my chromo'd D44.