87 sportruck no dash lights, turn signals, windshield wipers

Yes, it is a sportruck, but it has full guages. Tach, temp guage, battery voltage, oil pressure, everything, but the previous owner said the cluster was replaced.l at some point.

I'm not sure if it has the delay or not. It doesnt seem to. It does have the fuse slot for one though. Where would it be if i did have one?

Could this mess of a connector that goes on the transmission have anything to do with my issue?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good call Eagle, nothing that is on with parking lights is turned off with headlights. 

it would pay to remove the DOME AND HAZARD FLASHER fuses and see if the PARK fuse still blows.

the only other possibilities i see on the schematic are the clock and the audio alarm.  i'm guessing that the audio alarm is the chime.

if the reverse light switch is disconnected, that shouldn't be the problem unless two of the wires are melted together/shorted in the harness.

Mine doesnt have a chime module, i see the connector for one, but it is not present. Also the clock works fine, so i never took it apart. Maybe i should.

The connector for the reverse lights looks like it was melted down to nothing. Should i cut it off and cap the wires for now?

If the wires were melted together, wouldn't it just turn on the reverse lights? The reverse light switch is after all just a switch that opens and closes a circuit, the same way that a short might. Unless it's shorting straight to ground, in which case it's on a completely separate circuit so shouldn't blow the park fuse. It would blow the trans fuse if anything.

That doesn't mean it isn't a symptom of something that doesn't also need addressed anyhow, I just can't see it being the problem at hand.

Melted headlight switch connectors are a common issue. Mine set itself on fire. The wires and switch are spec'ed for the bare minimum of the headlight load, and as the wiring ages, the load increases. Fire bad. Look up a headlight harness upgrade.

It's unlikely, but the melted connector could be causing the short as well.

• 5 years later...

Bringing up this ancient forum… I’m having the same exact issue as Troubador and this the only forum I’ve found with the same issue! The headlight switch connector melted a few weeks ago, I replaced it and the headlight switch. Everything works perfect when the headlights and taillights are on (3rd slot on the switch) but with just running lights (second slot) the park/tail fuse blows. If I pull the switch to the 3rd slot then put the fuse in I can drive fine with taillights and running lights, it only blows if the switch falls into the 2nd slot. Troubador, did getting a part from a junkyard fix your issue? I’ve tried 2 switches from Oreilley and 1 from autozone and they all act the same. Any ideas? I have an 87 wagoneer XJ

On 11/30/2021 at 12:19 PM, jdog said:

I would check the front harness connector behind the airbox.

The connector seems fine and all the wires around there seem okay too. I find it hard to be a wire that’s rubbed raw somewhere due to the nature of the symptoms. If it were rubbed through somewhere wouldn’t it short whenever the running lights turn on? I can drive with everything working perfect in the 3rd position, it’s only in the 2nd that the fuse blows and it’s instantaneous every time.