Swapping in cruise

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have a pic of where the cruise wire runs into the column from the stalk? I've got everything apart and want it to appear stock...

PM me an email address and I'll send you the full instructions for the Mopar cruise kit install.

it should be doable, i think i saw a couple threads on here.  you will need a switch for the brake and the clutch to deactivate the cruise control.

Brake is already in place (for brake lights).  Didn't install one on the clutch, just tap the brakes before clutching it.

Bought a new aftermarket turn signal lever for a GM car on fleabay for $15 shipped.  $9.95 + tax for cruise control servo from Pull-a-part.  Done and done!  Easiest upgrade I think I've done other than pulling the column apart.  I have a .pdf of an entire GM Saginaw tilt column rebuild I found online that was invaluable (69 pages of color with detailed descriptions!).  If anyone needs it, I'll email it too you.  Absolutely great.

Also, make sure your wheels are straight BEFORE taking the wheel off....My steering wheel MIGHT be about 120 deg off.  Whoops.  :/

I don't need cruise on mine, but I need a column/wiper/turn signal switch. The cheaper ones all have cruise. Anyone know if I can use that switch on a non cruise truck?

Sorry for the thread hi jack.

Switch or stalk?  The part that sticks out is just a stalk (Here is a picture of me holding both https://goo.gl/photos/P3v7CPogYaLNoLzU7 ), it shouldn't matter except if you have delay wipers or not.  Just cut off the cord.

If the actual switch is bad (the stalk is there but your blinkers don't "click" to turn left/right) then you have to dig into the steering column. I've got a great .pdf for how to do that!

Edit: The switch is the creme/white colored thingy with all the wires on it hanging out of the steering column in the pic.  Just FYI.

I don't need cruise on mine, but I need a column/wiper/turn signal switch. The cheaper ones all have cruise. Anyone know if I can use that switch on a non cruise truck?

Sorry for the thread hi jack.

Switch or stalk?  The part that sticks out is just a stalk (Here is a picture of me holding both https://goo.gl/photos/bidFQhLUqR6iYyx36 ), it shouldn't matter except if you have delay wipers or not.  Just cut off the cord.

If the actual switch is bad (the stalk is there but your blinkers don't "click" to turn left/right) then you have to dig into the steering column. I've got a great .pdf for how to do that!

Edit: The switch is the creme/white colored thingy with all the wires on it hanging out of the steering column in the pic.  Just FYI.

Your link didn't work for me, but I need the stalk, not the switch. Signals work, wipers work, but the part that makes the washer work is missing. 

If its the same and just wires, then I can make it work.

I wonder if I can re-purpose the cruise on/off to run my driving lights? Through a relay, of course.

Whoops, forgot to turn on sharing apparently.  Try the link again.  If that's the part you need, PM me.

I'm sure you could repurpose the switch though.  I'm not sure on the Renix, but on mine one of the 4 wires is "hot" all the time and the switch to "On" just completes that circuit.

• 9 months later...

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I am installing cruise into my 91 4.0ho 5 speed. I got the stalk, cruise servo motor, cable and vacuum tube. My only concern is the clutch pedal.. Does anyone have any information on a clutch cut-off switch?

I think I'm going to add a normally open generic brake switch and tap into the pins on the existing brake switch. I just have to figure out the wiring to ensure the brake lights do not illuminate when the clutch pedal is depressed. I believe there are wires from the existing brake switch solely to disengage cruise when the brake switch is depressed, I'll just tap into those!

I put cruise into my 91 auto with components from a 96 XJ. The brake switch signal wire was already present at the cruise servo connector, it was pure PnP. Your existing brake switch already has three sets of contacts wired in the harness for cruise, torque converter unlock, and of course the brake lights. So for your clutch can't you use the existing TC set of contacts?

I put cruise into my 91 auto with components from a 96 XJ. The brake switch signal wire was already present at the cruise servo connector, it was pure PnP. Your existing brake switch already has three sets of contacts wired in the harness for cruise, torque converter unlock, and of course the brake lights. So for your clutch can't you use the existing TC set of contacts?

I don't understand what you're asking.

Yes, that was a bit convoluted, wasn't it.  :yes:   What I'm saying is that since you have a standard tranny and no torque converter, why don't you use the NO set of TC contacts on the brake switch for your clutch? Maybe that's how it's wired anyhow from the factory for a standard tranny with cruise. I'll have to check the FSM.

Yes, that was a bit convoluted, wasn't it.  :yes:   What I'm saying is that since you have a standard tranny and no torque converter, why don't you use the NO set of TC contacts on the brake switch for your clutch? Maybe that's how it's wired anyhow from the factory for a standard tranny with cruise. I'll have to check the FSM.

I have a wiring diagram of the brake switch for my 91, I'll post the picture of it when I get home tonight. I have a hunch on which wires to tap into for the switch I might get for the clutch. see below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161102006220?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I think the solution for adding an additional brake switch for the clutch to turn off the cruise is this:

1. Cut either the YL/RD or DB/RD wire on the existing brake switch.

Image Not Found

2. Add the brake switch (see attached link) in series to the cut wire. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008Z1NEUO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. Connect the wire ends to the normally open side of the brake switch (the brake switch has 4 contacts, one side is normally open and the other is normally closed)

Can anyone agree with this? This will allow the cruise to shut off when the clutch is pressed OR the brake pedal is pressed.

• 9 months later...

PM me an email address and I'll send you the full instructions for the Mopar cruise kit install.
Hi HOrnbrod, if I pm my email would you be willing to send me the mopar cruise kit install possibly good sir? Just snagged an 87 from the junk yard and want to hook it up in my 87 manche. What all would be needed? Thank you sir!

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

I'd be glad to, but since it's a Renix cruise system you have, these instructions won't help you as they are for the HO harness. 
Weeeellllll damn... Would it still be of use at least? Or are there any writeups on a renix? I tried searching but my phone wasn't being of any help lol

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk