What is a good reputable re-manufactured engine?

• 1 month later...

Gonna do a bit of a thread hijjak on this since its right along the lines of info I'm looking for. 

engine of my 87 4.0 has lots of little faults and its just not cost effieciant to dump anymore more money unless i rebuild the motor. don't have the space or tools currently to rebuild, tho i plan on setting up the space next year after i move on this land I'm buying. therefore i plan on keeping my core and rebuilding the engine on my own. so i will need to replace without the option of rebuilding the current one, since my comanche is a daily, and need to be running 100% before my move. 

thinking a titan. was gonna use a atk since its cost friendly but the mixed reviews leave me wary. tho S&J engines looks cost friendly as well. so any other solid engine suggestions would be appreciated. 

also would it be worth it to swap to the ax15 from the BA-10 while i do this?

sorry to hijack, but seemed pointless to make a new thread when a somewhat recent one has popped up. 

The chain parts store I worked at would have sourced a 4.0 for me from NorthWest something or other, I think out of Spokane WA. I was surprised at how little they quoted me for it, under $3000 shipped which was pretty much unbeatable where I was living. I also couldn't find a bad review. Only reason I didn't get one was because I didn't have the money. Bought a running driving XJ with half the mileage instead for $300.

hmmm ill see because an already rebuilt one would be cheaper.

Not if you're willing to do some work. What I have always done is take the block, crank and head to a shop and have them boil everything out, do the necessary machine work, and install the cam bearings. Then I bring it home and do all the assembly. It saves money, plus I have much more confidence in my own work than I do in anyone else's work.

I was told a 4.0 wouldnt fit in my 89... They said I would need to bang out room to make it fit?? what is true lol

"They" are wrong. As Shelbyluv posted, only the '86 engine room is different, because it was designed for the 2.8L Vs rather than the 4.0L I6. And it's really not even true for all '86 MJs, because toward the end of the '86 model run they started using the new firewall design. You have an '89, so that's not an issue for you.

• 2 weeks later...

4.0 vs. 2.5?

I'm going 2.5L. A 4.0 will not fit into a 2.5L engine bay. Unfortunately they are sized differently...

False, they are exactly the same.

The only engine bays that are different is that of the 86 and 87+. You can still get a 4.0 or a V8 in an 86 engine bay. It just isn't as easy as the 87+.

I was told a 4.0 wouldnt fit in my 89... They said I would need to bang out room to make it fit?? what is true lol

My 89 Comanche is a factory 4.0 just like many many many others on this forum. The person that gave you that info was wrong.

engine of my 87 4.0 has lots of little faults and its just not cost efficient to dump anymore more money unless i rebuild the motor.

what are your compression numbers?  any rod knock? 

i havent ran any compression numbers on it in a long while. there is rod knock, i thought it was a blown gasket, which was blown, but the knocking still continued after the gasket changeout(though not as loud.) the truck sat for 4 years with fluids in it, and ive spent this past 2 years trying to do what i can without plucking it out and getting into it (since I'm ill-equip for such jobs currently.) but its just become a money pit. this is my main vehicle, need to get it 100 asap. ill save the core and rebuild the engine myself while using a factory reman engine to drive the truck. 

low hp, a bog from 1-3rd gear, rod knock, won't pass smog anymore, lower gas mileage, spitting smoke occasionally, rough idle, not counting other issues like the clutch deciding to start acting up. and this is whats left after a ton of work.