Axle Shaft U-Joints

working underneath my Pioneer the other day and I noticed the axle shaft u-joints are shot. Anybody have good pointers or words of wisdom for when I do the swap? Gonna re-pack my wheel bearings while I have it all apart.

As was said, the wheel bearings aren't serviceable.

Unless you've had it off recently, the 36 mm axle nut is a right @$#% to get off. If it's really stuck on there, and you don't need to replace the wheel bearing or stub shaft, you can get away with just removing the three bolts (12-point 13mm) holding the hub assembly to the steering knuckle.

Also be careful when sliding axle shafts in and out that you don't jack up the seals.

If you have two piece shafts, upgrade to one piece (right side), use large U joint shafts. Spicer U joints only (I never buy anything when the parts guy says "just as good as....) Even if you don't replace the shafts with "one piece" or bigger U joints, I highly recommend converting to full circle clips. I believe the "clips" are the first "weak" part of our front axles and the clips are easy to convert and gets you a ton or extra security.

i didnt know the wheel bearings arent serviceable. they seem ok, no noise or wobbling. 

I will give the 12 point bolt method to get the shafts out, I just need to get the u-joints replaced for now so i can drive it for hunting season. next year or so i am going to do a complete front end rebuild when i put the lift on. 

As was said, the wheel bearings aren't serviceable.
Unless you've had it off recently, the 36 mm axle nut is a right @$#% to get off. If it's really stuck on there, and you don't need to replace the wheel bearing or stub shaft, you can get away with just removing the three bolts (12-point 13mm) holding the hub assembly to the steering knuckle.
Also be careful when sliding axle shafts in and out that you don't jack up the seals.

If you have two piece shafts, upgrade to one piece (right side), use large U joint shafts. Spicer U joints only (I never buy anything when the parts guy says "just as good as....) Even if you don't replace the shafts with "one piece" or bigger U joints, I highly recommend converting to full circle clips. I believe the "clips" are the first "weak" part of our front axles and the clips are easy to convert and gets you a ton or extra security.

by clips, do you mean in the diff? or clips for the u-joints themselves?

by clips, do you mean in the diff? or clips for the u-joints themselves?

The clips that hold the ujoints in place.

Stock is C type, Which are known to pop out under a little stress & cause ujoint failure.

well now i am stuck, i can't seem to get the drift pin holding the large pin holding the c-clips in place. was really really hoping it was a bolt but i am not so lucky. any recomendations on getting it to move? i have tried a punch and wailing on it with a hammer. nothing is making that little turd move. 

That is a non c clip axle,i hope your not taking the diff apart.

no, thought better of it, got the pin to drift out but noticed it won't clear the gear. so I put it back. I can't for the life of me get that damn axle out, it won't move. I am going to see if i can rent a slide hammer tomorrow from Autozone. 

Are you trying to remove the two peice inner axle shaft?

no, i was changing out the fluid in the front diff along with pulling the axle shafts. I just noticed that pin and was not thinking clearly. being pissed off at the jeep wasnt helping my troubleshooting :P. 

Are you trying to remove the two peice inner axle shaft?

no, i was changing out the fluid in the front diff along with pulling the axle shafts. I just noticed that pin and was not thinking clearly. being pissed off at the jeep wasnt helping my troubleshooting :P. 

The shafts should just slide out easily.

Did you take off the brakes/caliper/wheel bearing?

Not sure what you're having an issue with

The process for pulling an axle shaft is:

Wheel/tire

Brake calliper

Brake rotor

Axle nut

Hub

Shaft

The axle nut can be a bugger, and sometimes it's helpful to break it loose with the wheel on the ground to prevent it turning.

The hub bolts shouldn't be too bad, but the hub itself may be stuck in pretty good. I've had to pound a chisel between the hub and knuckle to get them apart.

I've read that there may be a c-clip on the passenger inner shaft.

The last time I broke a shaft, circumstances lead to me driving ~600 miles with the shaft. The axle shaft actually contacted the centre pin of the diff often enough and long enough that it rolled itself a lip that would go through the splines. Had to use a Dremel to grind down the end it the shaft.

well after hours of hammering, slide hammering, swearing and desperate pleading, I am throwing in the towel. I can't get those stupid hubs off to save my life and the wheel nuts are rusted on so bad that nothing short of the hulk is going to get them loose. I am going to admit defeat and pay to have a mechanic give it a shot. 

Push them out with a socket behind the bolt, start motor, turn wheel....do other side. textbook.

there is a difference between textbook and practice. tried what you just mentioned, did not work, they are on there. 

i did notice your post, My brother is a mechanic and is going to do it for me for cheap.