Dash pad

yxmj

can't just change the "dash pad", it's integral with the whole dash, VIN tag included.

Search "dashboard removal".

Tried to search......"dashboard removal".....all that comes up is your post.... :laughin: ......that is the greatest bit of self promotion I have ever seen.... :bowdown: 

can't just change the "dash pad", it's integral with the whole dash, VIN tag included.

Search "dashboard removal".

Tried to search......"dashboard removal".....all that comes up is your post.... :laughin: ......that is the greatest bit of self promotion I have ever seen.... :bowdown: 

Aint trying to self promote myself, what I'm trying to get you to do is find the info the same way I did..."Search function".

Same as Shelby, PM me and I'll answer your questions about dash and VIN swap, PM because anything with the vin is not really on the up and up, but is easy to do and can be done with no visible idea that its been changed. If you gonna get a new dash, do so, then report back here and I'm sure we'll get you taken care of....

as far as the search, keep tryin, or I'm sure somebody might search for you, help you out, provide you with a link...

Thanks 

FYI that last bit was a joke...not a shot....I just thought it was funny that the search brought up the original post.

Maybe I should elaborate....I have a chance at changing my interior from call girl red to black....I would be willing to put in the work to change out the pad if it is not too much....I could paint mine but if I can keep it intact it can all go in the parts shed for future use...

The dash pad is indeed molded to the entire plastic dash assembly. My ugly red pad was cracked, with no good way to fix it. I found a gray one at the JY with only a tiny crack in it that I didn't think would show if I painted it... I used Dupli Color vinyl and fabric paint, which in Charcoal is an almost perfect match to the factory gray color. The tiny crack still shows. :doh: But at least it's only a tiny crack, vs. the cracked mess that was there before.

Please do not post that on the open forum. It is not legal to remove the VIN number from the dash. PM him the information if he asks for it.

To swap the dash is legal. Swapping VIN plates is not, ever. No matter the reason why. If you swap the dash and the VIN changes the proper action is to take the vehicle to the local PD and have them verify the VIN on the body and issue a NEW tag. Which will be totally different from the factory VIN.

You can pull a vin tag off for restoration purposes, provided you put the same one back onto the same car. At least this is true in Canada. I can't imagine it's any different in the US... How else can you do a proper full restoration of a collectible car if you need to repair where the tag sits without massively decreasing the value of the car?

It is not legal in the US, period.

10751. (a) No person shall knowingly buy, sell, offer for sale,
receive, or have in his or her possession, any vehicle, or component
part thereof, from which any serial or identification number,
including, but not limited to, any number used for registration
purposes, that is affixed by the manufacturer to the vehicle or
component part, in whatever manner deemed proper by the manufacturer,
has been removed
, defaced, altered, or destroyed, unless the vehicle
or component part has attached thereto an identification number
assigned or approved by the department in lieu of the manufacturer's
number.

http://forums.officer.com/t130658/

It is not legal in the US, period.

10751. (a) No person shall knowingly buy, sell, offer for sale,

receive, or have in his or her possession, any vehicle, or component

part thereof, from which any serial or identification number,

including, but not limited to, any number used for registration

purposes, that is affixed by the manufacturer to the vehicle or

component part, in whatever manner deemed proper by the manufacturer,

has been removed, defaced, altered, or destroyed, unless the vehicle

or component part has attached thereto an identification number

assigned or approved by the department in lieu of the manufacturer's

number.

http://forums.officer.com/t130658/

so this being said... would that mean I'm beaking the law because my drivers door (and vin sticker) is from a Cherokee?

Not to exacerbate Shelbyluv any further, but I'm going to say check your state laws.

"Neither does this section prohibit the removal of a metal vehicle identification number plate from a vehicle part that is damaged when such removal is necessary for proper repair or matching identification of a replacement vehicle part, but such removal is only allowed if the proper matching metal vehicle identification number plate is immediately and properly secured to the repaired or replacement part."

That's from PA, in several places (§ 7102, 7103, etc) in the Vehicle Code. A brief search also showed it might also be legal in NC, but I never checked that one out.

Again, check your state laws before attempting. It may be legal, but it may not. As Shelbyluv pointed out, it's not legal in California... But then, is anything legal there?