New Project: 1988 SporTruck!

It's no different than swapping in a Renix block.  I used the Renix computer and harness.  Swap over the accessories, and sensors, and adapt the TPS.  You have to use the HO power steering pump. It's not hard. This is the third Jeep I've converted.

thanks for the info.....

• 1 month later...

So, I've been very much neglecting this build thread.  I have, however, been working on the truck here and there as I can.  Here's what's been going on over the last year or so...  As it stands now, it has a 4.0 HO from a '98 XJ ran by the Renix ECU, an AX15, and a NP231.

I ripped the old Renix engine and Pukegoat out.  Engine was so gummed up with tar/oil, that I just couldn't stand it.  Oil was darker than a black hole.  While I had mostly everything out, I cleaned up the engine bay, fixed the sheet metal under the battery tray as it was flaking away, and then painted the whole thing.

Hole under battery tray:

Freshly painted engine bay:

Fixed the hole:

Replaced nearly all the gaskets on the engine, the freeze plug on the back of the head, and a fresh coat of paint:

Engine and trans. installed:

Adapted the TPS by way of custom bracket and cylinder:

First time it's been out of the garage under its own power:

Still have a while to go.  Need to swap in the Dana 30, custom head light harness (like the Putco, but cheaper lol), and painting the whole truck.

• 1 month later...

WARNING: Picture intensive update in 3... 2... 1...

Been doing little odds and ends to the MJ recently (mostly stuff that doesn't cost me money since I've been out on disability for over a month).

Started off with a custom headlight harness. Chopped up the factory harness and added a couple of relays, and a fuse straight off the battery.  Can post a schematic if y'all are interested.  Cost me a whopping $7 for the relays, sockets and fuse on Amazon.

Then I finished up with my TPS adapter... (WRITE UP FOUND <HERE>)

Since I had the welder out, I decided to work on the mangled rear bumper.  Had two messed up rears, so took the best of each and put them together to make a straight one.

Got the exhaust welded up.  Dumps right in front of the axle.

And as of today, I pulled the rubber matting and started working on the floorboards... It's mostly surface rust, but a few sizeable holes.

Also got the vacuum reservoir relocated to where the coolant pressure tank use to sit.

Still plenty more to do.  More pictures and descriptions to come for sure!

• 1 month later...

Well, now that I'm back at my main job and paychecks are rolling in, I'm getting more stuff knocked out on this project.

Playing around in the dash, I figured out the blower motor would not come on.  Got to looking and the speed switch was melted.  Looked further down, and realized the blower resistor plug was subsequently melted, as well.  Pulled it out, and this is what I found.  PO had it out for some reason and jammed it back in, royally FUBARing it.  Swapped in another one, as with a new switch.

While I was in the dash, I fixed the chopped up stereo harness and installed a factory AM/FM/Cassette unit.  Cassette player still works!

Bought and installed a BoostWerks shifter after piecing together the OEM pieces I bought from a few of y'all here.  Stuff wasn't lining up like it should have, so I said screw it and went the 'upgrade' route.  Should have done that from the beginning...

Afterward, I painted and reinstalled the mini console.

Had to get creative with replacing the driver's side seat belt receptacle.  Pulled one from an XJ, but it was a bit too short for the bench seat, so I chopped the old belt off of the metal bar, and welded said bar to the XJ one.

Wired up a fog/driving light circuit and OEM electric fan override.

And lastly, today, I fabricated a bracket to hang the rear-view mirror on.  I admire the many foreign cars I've seen that don't affix the mirror to the windshield.  Always seemed like a smarter and less problematic idea, so I cloned it on this MJ.