Welded diff...pros & cons

Just like the title says.  In my hunt for a new rear for my truck, I keep running across "welded".  I know it refers to welded spyders but what does that do? Why do folks weld em'? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks

Pros: Excellent traction as you know that power is going to both rear tires all the time and it sounds like you're in an episode of CHiPS.

Cons: You will hate every corner you will ever have to make on dry pavement, rear tires will wear faster, and everybody will look at you because it'll sound like you're in an episode of CHiPS.

Pros: Excellent traction as you know that power is going to both rear tires all the time and it sounds like you're in an episode of CHiPS.

Cons: You will hate every corner you will ever have to make on dry pavement, rear tires will wear faster, and everybody will look at you because it'll sound like you're in an episode of CHiPS.

^ Yeah that. My 92 had a welded rear. I wouldn't recommend it for a DD, but it is definitely cheaper then a locker.

Great explanation, and was also just what I thought.  I've heard those guys around town.

Oh, and funny as hell too...for those of you who don't remember CHiP's...or never even heard of it.

I DD my manch with a welded rear did for 2 years before swaping out the 35 for a 44 , it was a lot of fun ! Wile it was very predictable it also would put you into a slide in the blink of an eye , I got caught off guard a few times just making a simple turn off the street . I always felt it had the ability to make a better driver out of you , knowing how to handle the vehicle in different situations .It's not for everyone that's for sure ! I certainly liked it better than the lunch box locker that was in for 4-5 years that broke , then I just welded the locker in place and all was good.

Con of it's welded it may not be repairable, meaning if you need to replace outer seal you have to replace entire axle, keep that in mind

How so?

The c clips hold the shafts in on a D35 and the flange hold the axles in a D44. You can still service the diff seals, bearings and gears. You just can't pull the spider gears because they are welded to the carrier.