help!! my MJ failed state inspection on june 1st

i need help, my MJ failed state inspection yesterday for the edmission tubes that come off my exhaust manifold and my parking brake, #2 exhaust leaks and i can't weld it, use tape or puddy. My parking brake pedal comes up 4 clicks, doesn't stay down if tapped and if it's set and you're in 1st and try to go, it's like the brake aint even set. Any ideas on how to fix the 2 issues and if i have to replace the parking brake assembly what can i pull one off of that's a direct fit?

Redwolf

1.)  Do you mean the chintzy aluminum tube from manifold to intake...or do you not have a stock airbox?

The tube is available at any parts store.  In the exhaust accessories department I had to do this on my son's XJ, don't remember the size...about $3.50.

2.)  Why can't you weld it?  You don't have a welder, don't know how to weld it or they won't allow you to weld it.  If the first two...get a shop to weld it...if the latter, you'd need to replace the manifold with an intact Renix manifold with the riser/stove that the hose attaches to.

3.)  Not exactly sure what you mean about the parking brake...it's not racheting?  It just doesn't hold even when it's pushed down?

Search for e-brake, emergency brake etc.  There are a couple of write-ups on how to fix/replace it or convert it over to a pull lever like an XJ. If it's just a matter of adjustment underneath, you might want to tighten up the bolt on the equalizer.

OR

You could just move to a state where they don't do inspections or emissions...like Puerto Rico.

All the above is good advice.  I just moved from VA, thankful I don't have emissions tax anymore! (I mean "inspections"  :shake: )

The park brake issue sounds like a combination of things.  If it is not holding, repairs are probably needed in the form of actually replacing parts.  Some careful inspection of the rear brakes and parking brake cables is needed.  Once that is done, you may find the other issues (number of clicks to apply, and park brake lever "slipping") may fix itself.  The number of clicks can be adjusted by adjusting the parking brake cable.  I would check a service manual as sometimes it specifies a proper range of clicks.  If it does not, you  may be able to argue that point with the inspector, bring the manual or a copy for proof.

Or, go to another inspection station.  Talk to some friends and locate a "customer friendly" place.  I think I know what you are going to say.  You have to pay first and if the problems are not fixed in a certain amount of time, you forfeit your payment.  Going to another place forfeits the payment.  I remember Virginia, and don't miss it! :shake:

There is no direct replacement for the foot e-brake nor can it be found from any parts store/Rock Auto.  The ones in the '86 MJ's are especially problematic.  Ask me how I know...

As far as the emissions issue, what engine does your MJ have? Is it still the 2.8 in your signature or are we talking about at different MJ?

Wouldn't it be easier to move to a non-communist state?

parents are working on moving out to NC and i'll be taggin along, it's all a matter of findin a place within a range and sellin our current palce

1.)  Do you mean the chintzy aluminum tube from manifold to intake...or do you not have a stock airbox?

The tube is available at any parts store.  In the exhaust accessories department I had to do this on my son's XJ, don't remember the size...about $3.50.

2.)  Why can't you weld it?  You don't have a welder, don't know how to weld it or they won't allow you to weld it.  If the first two...get a shop to weld it...if the latter, you'd need to replace the manifold with an intact Renix manifold with the riser/stove that the hose attaches to.

3.)  Not exactly sure what you mean about the parking brake...it's not racheting?  It just doesn't hold even when it's pushed down?

Search for e-brake, emergency brake etc.  There are a couple of write-ups on how to fix/replace it or convert it over to a pull lever like an XJ. If it's just a matter of adjustment underneath, you might want to tighten up the bolt on the equalizer.

OR

You could just move to a state where they don't do inspections or emissions...like Puerto Rico.

1. the tubes that come off the exhaust manifold into a air check valve that leads to a rubber hose jungle, 2. i am not aloud to weld anything exhaust/emissions related other than the exhaust pipes, 3. it ratchets down but ratchets back up 3-4 clicks and it doesn't hold the MJ in place while the e-brake is engaged

All the above is good advice.  I just moved from VA, thankful I don't have emissions tax anymore! (I mean "inspections"  :shake: )

The park brake issue sounds like a combination of things.  If it is not holding, repairs are probably needed in the form of actually replacing parts.  Some careful inspection of the rear brakes and parking brake cables is needed.  Once that is done, you may find the other issues (number of clicks to apply, and park brake lever "slipping") may fix itself.  The number of clicks can be adjusted by adjusting the parking brake cable.  I would check a service manual as sometimes it specifies a proper range of clicks.  If it does not, you  may be able to argue that point with the inspector, bring the manual or a copy for proof.

Or, go to another inspection station.  Talk to some friends and locate a "customer friendly" place.  I think I know what you are going to say.  You have to pay first and if the problems are not fixed in a certain amount of time, you forfeit your payment.  Going to another place forfeits the payment.  I remember Virginia, and don't miss it! :shake:

i just replaced the rear brakes a few months ago, drums, shoes, hardware and wheel cylinders, i even had em adjusted right; i even took it to tread quarters and had it checked to see if i did it right just because i suck at doin drum brakes. as far as the parking brake cable that could explain why from day 1 of owning my MJ the parking brake never stayed on the floor

There is no direct replacement for the foot e-brake nor can it be found from any parts store/Rock Auto.  The ones in the '86 MJ's are especially problematic.  Ask me how I know...

As far as the emissions issue, what engine does your MJ have? Is it still the 2.8 in your signature or are we talking about at different MJ?

still the crappy 2.8 for my MJ, and does the e-brake have to come from another 86 MJ?

Redwolf

still the crappy 2.8 for my MJ, and does the e-brake have to come from another 86 MJ?

Redwolf

No, any year will work. Actually, it'd be preferred to not get another one from an '86 because those had a defect that was under recall back then for that exact issue, not staying in place/holding.  Bad ratcheting, worn teeth.

And NC still has state inspections, but I don't think they're as communist as Virginia. Also depends on where you go hehe. My foot brake was crap when I bought my MJ and never once have they checked it.

Take a look at your brake cables, they may be rusted tight inside the sleeves, and when depressing the pedal, none of that movement is actually transferred to the brakes.  

i will when it's not raining and the ground drys out thanks

Redwolf

No, any year will work. Actually, it'd be preferred to not get another one from an '86 because those had a defect that was under recall back then for that exact issue, not staying in place/holding.  Bad ratcheting, worn teeth.

And NC still has state inspections, but I don't think they're as communist as Virginia. Also depends on where you go hehe. My foot brake was crap when I bought my MJ and never once have they checked it.

alright, can they come out of a cherokee if it has a boot brake? and i'll probably end up replacin it if i don't sell is or if it's not the issue schardein stated above,

Redwolf