Model Changes

Another site I frequent (for motorcycles) has a chronological list of similarities and differences in the major systems (e.g. available engines, trans, body changes, etc.) for the entire run of the model that is posted as a FAQ. Is there such a post or thread here on CCC?

If not, it would probably be a good resource, as a number of my n00b questions (as I search for spares and the like) relate to how the MJ (and XJ) differs from year to year, and whether a particular piece would fit (e.g. will a radiator from a 1992 XJ fit a 1987 MJ?).

If the info is available somewhere, but isn't organized, lead me to it and I'll volunteer to assemble it for the site.

BTW that other site has a dedicated FAQ mod, who combs through the post periodically and assembles recurrent thread topics and replies into a FAQ thread. It's a bit of work, but saves having the same topic arise ad infinitum/ad nauseum.

Thanks.

I've alway intended to put that type of info onto a webpage at comancheclub.com, but haven't done it yet. That's why we don't have a FAQ post. Well, that and I actually prefer it when members re-ask the same questions, as every problem is different and there's no telling whether or not the person asking knows the subtle differences when they are just reading past posts. Plus it's more interactive and personal. If nothing else, this group seems to take great pride in "customer service". :D

P.S. Yes, the radiators are interchangeable between the various years of 4.0L. It's a good upgrade to put in a later model one because you gain a radiator cap. :D

Appreciate the response. As a n00b, I'm always a bit reluctant to pester with questions that have been done to death, but aren't readily answered with a search.

It's nice to know that the personal touch is still preferred.

BTW what magic trick is there in releasing the spare tire?

You need a special tool - look behind the seat. Okay, it's actually just a screw drive blade if memory serves. Anyways, it's inserted into a hole above the rear bumper in the centre - and if you turn it it winds down a cable that holds the spare tire up.

You need a special tool - look behind the seat. Okay, it's actually just a screw drive blade if memory serves. Anyways, it's inserted into a hole above the rear bumper in the centre - and if you turn it it winds down a cable that holds the spare tire up.

Thanks! I suspected it was something like that. I doubt my truck has the special tool, but if a long screwdriver won't work, I'll fab something.

The special tool is the folding handle for the factory jack. It's probably still behind your seat because most previous owners never, ever bothered to winch down the spare or jack up the truck.

The special tool is the folding handle for the factory jack. It's probably still behind your seat because most previous owners never, ever bothered to winch down the spare or jack up the truck.

It is, and thanks. I just tried the lug wrench, and it worked perfectly. The end of the folding handle didn't look right, but I'll give it a try as well.

PS I found it useful to remove the tailgate (as the license plate frame sticks up a bit, and the rear bumper is fubared, so my clearance was tight for the lug wrench). Is this normal?

And now an on topic post, since I seem to have hi-jacked my own thread :D

Is the major difference between the 1987 Comanche and the 1984-86 models simply the availability of the 4.0L six?

I'm looking around for info, but no luck so far.

Is the major difference between the 1987 Comanche and the 1984-86 models simply the availability of the 4.0L six?

Well, there were a whole bunch of changes that were needed simply to accommodate the longer and more powerful engine including transmission and t-case upgrades, wiring upgrades to accommodate the new engine and new transmission, radiator supports for the bigger radiator, moving the hood latches to the outside so they don't interfere with said radiator, etc.

Well, there were a whole bunch of changes that were needed simply to accommodate the longer and more powerful engine including transmission and t-case upgrades, wiring upgrades to accommodate the new engine and new transmission, radiator supports for the bigger radiator, moving the hood latches to the outside so they don't interfere with said radiator, etc.

Thanks.

And now an on topic post, since I seem to have hi-jacked my own thread :D

I'm looking around for info, but no luck so far.

The first year of the Jeep Comanche is 1986.

actually, there are a very, very select few 85's out there...but they are all test vehicles. I believe my last count on them was 8 or so.

first public year was 86, and in 86 the options were the 2.5 4 cylinder, 2.1 Renault turbo diesel, and the 2.8 chevy v6. the 2.5 and 2.1 stayed for 87 and the 4.0 replaced the 2.8.

actually, there are a very, very select few 85's out there...but they are all test vehicles. I believe my last count on them was 8 or so.

first public year was 86, and in 86 the options were the 2.5 4 cylinder, 2.1 Renault turbo diesel, and the 2.8 chevy v6. the 2.5 and 2.1 stayed for 87 and the 4.0 replaced the 2.8.

and 86's were all longbeds, too.

Jeff