Deciding to sell 89 Pioneer 2wd long bed

pizzatree

Trying to make a decision about sale of our truck -

1989 Jeep Comanche MJ Pioneer 2wd long bed, Auto, 4.0L  I6 Cylinder, 120K Miles

Here is the deal - It currently runs, but needs a transmission and is garaged.

We have a 2 year old, and aren't comfortable putting her in it...so we are trying to decide if we should keep it garaged, sell it for some photo/video equipment, fix the trans and sell or swap for 5 spd trans and keep it around for once/twice a year drive?

We love the truck, it's got a few minor issues and is in pretty great shape otherwise.

It needs – Transmission, AC Compressor, new lock cylinders, passenger window track

Exterior excellent condition – new paint, bed has minimal scratching, tail gate/bumper/lights in great condition, push bar on font

Interior fair condition - Needs Headliner, crack in dash

Things we’ve done:

110k Paint/Undercoating,  new dome lights, upgraded stereo/speakers

112k New Tires

115K  Water Pump, Alternator

What would you do with it? 

What is the market for this model with transmission issues?

How does the undercarriage look?  I see location is PA but it was undercoated so not sure how rusty. Assuming the underside is good I think you're looking at a $1500ish truck.  Column shift 2WD =tough to convert to a 5 speed.  It would make an ideal 4wd swap candidate though.  Find a donor with a good AW4 trans and grab everything.

Pizzatree,

I got my Comanche as an extra vehicle.  I use the truck about 3000 miles a year for all kinds of household stuff, but mostly going to Home Depot and taking stuff to the dump type of stuff.  Getting the truck let me stop using the SUV for that kind of stuff.  It also let me stop renting a trailer when ever I needed to haul something that would not fit in the SUV.  So my Comanche is not a daily driver.  If you are a homeowner, you know the value of having a truck around the house.  So I would look very hard at getting a "family" car - Say a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry for my daily driver and keep the truck.  Anita drives a 2003 4 cylinder Camry, my son drives an89 Camry V6 that my father purchased new.  Both incredibly reliable daily drivers.  My SUV is a 2000 Isuzu Rodeo, used it for years to tow my camping trailer all over the western U.S. and Canada.  My daily driver is a 96 VW Passat TDI.  Have also taken it from San Diego to the east coast and back with no issues.  Besides, it gets 45 plus mpg, day in and day out.

So keep the truck for what it is and get another car for the family!  Then keep the family car in good shape and drive it for years.

I say keep it as well. Not sure why you have issues with the little girl riding in it. My daughter loves our MJ. She's been riding in it since she was a baby. There's no passenger side airbag therefore no issues with a baby seat facing backwards or foreword. Mine is a semi daily driver. There's no way I would get rid of it. It is too handy to have of you are a homeowner. That and its cool. Keep it. Fix it. Love it!

I'm in the "rebuild it" camp too. You don't want an airbag hitting your daughter.

On a side note, you're the first person I've ever heard of to have an AW4 die at such a low mileage. Junkyard AW4s would be plentiful, cheap, and likely to be fine mechanically if you just want to get it on the road without a manual swap. They are a very strong transmission.

What kind of trans problems is it having. Maybe it doesn't really need one. The former owner of my truck replaced the engine and trans at 140,000 miles just because it was leaking oil. Just saying maybe we can help you properly diagnose what's wrong.

Thanks for the replies

It's a tough decision, but...I think we are leaning towards selling it.

Undercarriage looks great thanks to the undercoating, no rust issues

This is a third car, we've got an 2000 XJ and station wagon for hauling house stuff...so while the truck would be helpful at times, we have been getting along fine without it.  I know it's legal to put the kid in the front seat but not recommended, especially with 2 other alternatives, we just aren't comfortable doing it. 

Trans won't shift out of 1st.  I am handy but not a mechanic - had our trusted mechanic take a look and he offered to do the swap.

I was also surprised that the transmission would go with such low miles.

Without a fully functioning trans and only 2wd that would not bring even $1,000 in my area. I bought my fully functional and reliable '91 for $400 and drove it about 400 miles the next day.

Undercoating added at 110K may make the undercarriage "look good" but considering your location many potential buyers well worry that it was added to cover a problem. Or at least they would in this rusty area. *I am in no way implying that you did that* but many buyers who might pay top dollar will be concerned about what fresh undercoating may be hiding especially with the floor pan rust issues of the MJ.

So it really comes back to what it is worth to you?

I'm not saying anything for sure but it's entirely possible that the transmission computer under the dash is malfunctioning. Does it do anything different when you try to shift it manually? The transmission is computer controlled so faulty electronics could cause a perfectly mechanically healthy trans to do wierd stuff like that. Unless it's been abused that low of a mileage should be nothing for an AW4.

I'm not saying anything for sure but it's entirely possible that the transmission computer under the dash is malfunctioning. Does it do anything different when you try to shift it manually? The transmission is computer controlled so faulty electronics could cause a perfectly mechanically healthy trans to do wierd stuff like that. Unless it's been abused that low of a mileage should be nothing for an AW4.

Good point. The tranny uses its own control module to activate solenoids to control the gear selection. It could be as little as a pinched wire or bad ground.