Collin's MJ-updated 10/5, semi-fresh paint!

Affectionately dubbed "The BFT" because it is bigger than my XJ. This is what I started off with...1988 MJ Pioneer 2wd

Had a brush guard which I liked at first but don't now

so I got rid of it...

Next I ditched the bench...

and added some buckets

It had a cone air intake which was slightly cobbled together...it worked just fine, I just didn't like the look...

So I ditched it and put in a stock airbox and a stamped steel valve cover

I also got rid of all decals except the Pioneer on the back...

I was thrilled with that finished product only to realize that was no feeling of thrilled when I saw this...where it sits at today.

Specs: Rockkrawler 4.5" coils, Non Disco D30, Chrysler 8.25 out of 99 XJ with Discs and SOA, 34x9.50 Super Swampers on 15x8 Rockkrawlers, Por-15'd bed cap...and the damn thing is still 2wd with a puke goat. That is the final thing and then it is ready for the trails

And the pics will continue tomorrow. I now have chrome center caps in the Rockkrawlers and will Por-15 the bottom 1/4s of the MJ. Thinking about maybe just doing the whole thing, but we'll see. Por-15 is awesome by the way. Let me know what ya'll think.

Man I like the look of that truck all grown up. I rember just the other day she was a baby sitting in the parking lot looking up at my wife truck just wanting to be as big. Now she is bigger. Looking good man all jamminz.gif

Not to hijack but you are still making it down this weekend to wheel and MIOBI. I won't have my truck done but I plan to make it out to meet up with some of you guys. :popcorn:

I also got rid of all decals except the Pioneer on the back...

How did you get rid of the decals? I've done one side of my truck and it was a lot of scrubbin with Goo-Gone. Curious if you got a better solution.

Truck looks good.

Man I like the look of that truck all grown up. I rember just the other day she was a baby sitting in the parking lot looking up at my wife truck just wanting to be as big. Now she is bigger. Looking good man all jamminz.gif

Not to hijack but you are still making it down this weekend to wheel and MIOBI. I won't have my truck done but I plan to make it out to meet up with some of you guys. :popcorn:

No I actually won't be down there this weekend because this is my graduation party and ceremony plus the MJ is still 2wd so it's not going to be ready for a bit yet. I know Dustin and those guys are still going down though so you might want to talk with him.

How did you get rid of the decals? I've done one side of my truck and it was a lot of scrubbin with Goo-Gone. Curious if you got a better solution.

Truck looks good.

Thanks, I got rid of the decals with a hairdryer and razor blade. Have a person warm the decal in front of you as you slowly peel it off, same goes for the pinstriping. It works like a charm and the best part is I ended up using no goo gone of any kind. Good luck!

haha, that's the SAME truck i'm getting. a red pioneer...89. I like the stance, and I may adopt your ideas on the decal removal..I really am not a fan of the pioneer stripes, but i like it sayin pioneer.

good work, I hope to see more of this sweeet ride

get some skinnier rims for those tires.

I've got mine on the same rims (came with the tire deal) and I have bead issues at anything less than 15 PSI.

The sidewalls don't start to really flex until you get down to 12, so it's an issue.

I'm looking for some 15x6's for mine.

pizza cutters are awesome though, I run mine with 4" of lift, be prepared to cut the fenders.

get some skinnier rims for those tires.

I've got mine on the same rims (came with the tire deal) and I have bead issues at anything less than 15 PSI.

The sidewalls don't start to really flex until you get down to 12, so it's an issue.

I'm looking for some 15x6's for mine.

pizza cutters are awesome though, I run mine with 4" of lift, be prepared to cut the fenders.

Yeah I'm thinking about maybe getting some stock Grand Canyons for it...maybe, although I don't really (yet) air down anyway so it's not too big of a deal. I could see when I start wheeling it seriously though and air them down I might run into problems. Thanks for the heads up man.

• 1 month later...

Well, I decided to rob the 97+ header panel and fenders off of my 1990 XJ today to put on the MJ. Turned out absolutely smokin' I think. I'm also trying to figure out what color I want to paint it. I don't like red as much on MJs because it seems like everyone's and their mother's (well I dunno how many mothers have MJs) is red. I'm trying to decide whether to go all black, OD, or some exotic color. Anyway, let me know what you guys think of it. Sorry about the dark pics, I'll take more in the daylight tomorrow.

your truck looks good..iam not diggin them skinny swampers though lol

:thwak: :cheers:

Well ya know...the price was right so I'm not complaining. $350 for a set of LTBs that looked almost brand new. I don't care if they're tractor tires or not they will dig like a sombitch. And...they won't be on all year, because pretty soon I'm going to dig up a set of All Terrains for onroad

looks good man did you get that 4x4 stuff that you needed

Not yet, but I'm not in a huge hurry, as long as I'm good for Labor Day we'll be all set.

your truck looks good..iam not diggin them skinny swampers though lol

:thwak: :cheers:

Well ya know...the price was right so I'm not complaining. $350 for a set of LTBs that looked almost brand new. I don't care if they're tractor tires or not they will dig like a sombitch. And...they won't be on all year, because pretty soon I'm going to dig up a set of All Terrains for

its cool man ive had good deals too jamminz.gif

Here's some daylight pics with a white grille and headlight bezel set I had laying around. I was trying to decide if I like the white or not, and was almost thinking about spraying it that color tonight, but I just like darker colors too much. It may go the same green as my 99 XJ is, I can't decide.

how much was all of that? for the grill conversion?

I got the header panel on ebay for like $60 shipped because it had been patched in a small area. The grille and bezels were $50 from the junkyard. And the fenders were like $75 each from ebay I think. Fenders aftermarket, everything else is oem.

i like what you have done with the truck!!! also on the color with the new grille and all i think you should go white because i saw the nicest mj with that setup and it was white and i loved it!!!

Thanks! I know exactly which one you're talking about, says Rubicon on the fenders, Liberty light bar, etc. I've got pics of it but I'm too lazy to host them right now. I'm still debating on color, but leaning towards white.

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone, thought I'd do a little update. The MJ is finally 4x4. A new bumper is now on it that came off one of my other Jeeps. I also decided on a color and got the whole Comanche (minus the bed) sprayed. I used Rustoleum Hammered Paint for the whole thing since I get it discounted from where I work. It seems to be tough stuff. I have found out you have to lay it on thick for it to show the "hammered" finish but when you do it looks good. Anyway enough blah blah, here's the pictures...

Red bed still...

I even did the door jambs to match the two tone paint scheme for when I'm running doorless, isn't that bitchin?

And a close up of the hammered texture...

Let me know what you guys think.

-Collin