Amc 20

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I got a question for all the gear heads....

What brand gears should I get for the 4.88 gear swap? And does cj ring and pinion fit this axle???

Any info/advice helps a lot since I'm going to hopefully buy at the end of the year the parts nessacery for regear...

http://m.summitracing.com/search/part-type/ring-and-pinion-gears/axle-model/amc-model-20/ring-and-pinion-ratio/4-88-1

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/precision-gear-amc-20-4-88-all-amc488.html

http://www.ox-usa.com/amc-20/286-ring-pinion-411.html

All of the interior differential stuff like lockers & gears are the same for both versions. The difference is the axle shaft & tubes. So anything like that for a CJ differential will work for you. 

It seems like gears are usually a get what you pay for thing. Most companies have two different lines of them. The good ones are sold under one name and are more expensive but are quiet. The cheap ones are sold under another and are generally more noisy. I have read, but have no confirmation, that USA Standard gear sets are the Yukon gears that are out of spec for the top line so they sell them off without the "pretty up" final process.

We put USA Standard gears in the XJ owned by the guy who helps me on my Jeep. They are not noisy and have held up well over 20,000 miles. Well, you can't hear them over the KM1's, anyway. The "noisy" thing may be a crap shoot.

It seems like gears are usually a get what you pay for thing. Most companies have two different lines of them. The good ones are sold under one name and are more expensive but are quiet. The cheap ones are sold under another and are generally more noisy. I have read, but have no confirmation, that USA Standard gear sets are the Yukon gears that are out of spec for the top line so they sell them off without the "pretty up" final process.

We put USA Standard gears in the XJ owned by the guy who helps me on my Jeep. They are not noisy and have held up well over 20,000 miles. Well, you can't hear them over the KM1's, anyway. The "noisy" thing may be a crap shoot.

Ive read that too, not sure I buy it.

Gears for alot of axles are outsourced and most of our Jeep axles are one of those, most major gear companies gears come out of the same factory in Korea and are pretty much identical.

They look the same, setup the same, run quiet,even have identical numbers and symbols stamped in them, and in the case of Yukon/USA std have word for word identical warranties.

• 4 months later...