A 318 in a jeep

The 4.0 makes more HP than many years of the sometimes anemic 318. Sure you could probably do it but that doesn't mean you should. Your money...your time...your decision but the fact that this swap is basically unheard of means there is probably a reason for it

Much cheaper than any V8 conversion would be a cam and a set of sightly larger injectors.

http://comancheclub.com/topic/17726-drag-comanche/

https://www.allpar.com/trucks/jeep/comanche.html

Bob Salemi set an IHRA record with a 4-liter Comanche in September 2009, in HT/SA, with a 12.95 quarter mile at 100 mph (New England Dragway - thanks, Bob Sheaves).

I was considering putting a modern HEMI in my jeep. A mild build ~450 or so HP. I decided to go with a fully built I6 instead for various reasons.

I've built a few modern HEMI's, and have quite a few parts laying around. I have a 600+HP HEMI in my other 4X4, its insane. 

But with this build, I wanted to go a different direction. 

I may toss a HEMI in Comanche in the future though. 

I was considering putting a modern HEMI in my jeep. A mild build ~450 or so HP. I decided to go with a fully built I6 instead for various reasons.

I've built a few modern HEMI's, and have quite a few parts laying around. I have a 600+HP HEMI in my other 4X4, its insane. 

Comparing a modern Hemi to a say a 5.3 gm, the Hemi is a physically big engine! Anybody every seen a modern Hemi in a XJ/MJ?

Comparing a modern Hemi to a say a 5.3 gm, the Hemi is a physically big engine! Anybody every seen a modern Hemi in a XJ/MJ?

Isn't the Jeep 4.7L a hemi engine?

But I don't know if the 4.7L would fit in an MJ -- and having owned a WJ with the 4.7L, I hope I never ever own a second one.

Stroker ...

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/xj_swap.htm Lots of good info on V8 swaps in there.

4.7 stroker is another good option with almost no extra work needing to be done.

Mercedes 5 cyl turbo diesels are another good option. They're as reliable as a 4.0 and have loads of low end torque. You'll pay out the @$$ just to pick one up though.

I highly doubt you could get one in there without lifting the hell out of the XJ/MJ if they even fit side to side. They're tall motors and we don't have the biggest engine bays. I've seen them stuffed into JKs and their engine bays are significantly larger than our are. Even if you could get one in you're still going to have space issues with the trans and transfer case and even if you could get them in you'd likely run into major driveline issues trying to get driveshafts to the axles.

Yea, the HEMI engines are large, the heads are huge. They fit WK's, but its a real tight fit.  

I'd have to find it again, but I did see an XJ with a modern Hemi, it was an early (04~08) truck engine. They had to cut the hood, to allow it to fit. 

On the truck engine, then intake puts the throttle body at the back of the engine. If they put on a car intake, or an SRT intake, the TB is in the front. The hood would still need cutting, but, I'll bet a cool looking scoop could solve that. 

I'll look for it again, I recall it was a first gen HEMI, 345HP. So only ~50 to 60HP over a stroked 4.0. More weight (over all, engine, trans, transfer case, supporting cooling systems,,,), would make that swap kida not worth it. If I did it, it would be a mild build. 

Also, you can actually get a HEMI with drive-train  & computer for less then $2000 (from salvage yards)