Bed Bob Complete with Ruff Stuff "Way Back" Hanger

I just completed my rear frame shortening, I removed 14" of frame at the back of my '88 long bed, adding custom rear cross member and Ruff Stuff Specialties "Way Back" leaf shackle hangers mounted to back of the new rear cross member/bumper for maximum departure angle. Good stuff!

I'm putting the bed back on tonight, and cutting it down to match the frame.

Does anybody want to see pics of the frame shortening BEFORE I put the bed back on?

If so, I can snap some pics and post them!

While you have the bed off, add a good rear tow point... I custom made a stout 1/2" steel tongue in the center of the new crossmember to mount a big honkin' clevis too. It ties into the center of the rear factory "X" frame supports.

I painted/bedlinered the frame, while the bed was off too.

Also, I removed the gas tank, and will be relocating the gas tank in to the bed of the truck housed inside a truck bed tool box.

Once you're ready to put the bed back on, bolt it up, then cut off the rear to match your frame chop.

Cap off the rear of freshly cut bed sides with some sheet metal, and FLUSH mount round LED lights into these new caps.

Weld and grind the seams, Paint. Done!

I was going to go with the way backs on my Toyota, but just cut the frame even shorter and ran buggy leaves. Was cheaper for me by a few bucks.

I'd like to see the crossmember you made!

x2 on the x-member, mine's getting cut up in the fall :evil:

I'm glad you decided to embrace the sawzall :D

Are you able to get that thing out of the garage, or do you need to sawzall the top of the garage door off, too??? :D

Jeff