how should i seal up my fuel tank?

I just pulled my sending unit/fuel pump out to replace the pump. The fuel hose in the sending unit is deteriated and crumbled when i pulled it out. Anyway i want to drop the tank and make sure it is clean but it started raining here really hard so here are my questions.

1. Will humidity get in the tank and rust it?

2. Whats my best option for sealing up the hole?

I was just going to put some duct tape or painters tape over the hole.

you can probably just shove a clean rag in the hole and call it good. :thumbsup: a bit of humidity won't hurt it.  just run a can of gas-drier in the first tank of fuel if you've worried.

Now I get it!  He was just worried about humidity while the sender was out of the tank.  Dah...That is not a problem when you spend all your life in Southern California!

Put the tank in a large plastic lawn bag, that should solve the problem or just cover the tank with plastic.  Or put the tank in the garage if you have one.

Lol i can understand the confusion, thanks for the responses. The tank is still under the truck. I just shoved a large rag in it and called it good. The next step is to take the fuel tank off and get into the garage so I can clean it out. I am thinking about using the por 15 fuel tank sealer. What do y'all think?

No not leaking, I mean it leaked when I pulled the fuel sending unit out... tank had close to 15 gallons in it and my driveway is on a pretty good slope lol. Luckily i happened to have a plastic storage bucket within arms reach to catch 90% of what leaked out. Then i siphoned out the rest of the tank. I plan on pulling the tank off Tuesday or Wednesday if the weather is as nice as it has beem the last couple of days.

I just want to seal the fuel tank so i don't have to fool with it again.