4wd. indicator light

PEEJ

Soon will be converting to 4wd. Where is the 4wd. indicator light located and what will I need to do while converting to have this working.I'm assuming everything I need will be on my doner XJ.( MJ is 89 2wd. 4.0  5sp./MJ. is 88 4wd. 4.0 AW4-NP242)

After my conversion my 4wd lights do not function even though all of the electrical connections matched up. I have not found it to hard to remember when I was in 4x4 and a quick glance at the shifter position is a visual

confirmation.

My '88 had a 231 transfer case.. I am not real sure if a 208 would have been factory in an 88 XJ

If I am not mistaken, the front axle 4wd light is vacuum actuated.  The light is triggered by a vacuum operated switch on the t-case.

According to the 88 electric FSM, the 4.0 auto is wired differently from the 4.0 manual and 2.5 (auto or manual).

If I am not mistaken, the front axle 4wd light is vacuum actuated.  The light is triggered by a vacuum operated switch on the t-case.

According to the 88 electric FSM, the 4.0 auto is wired differently from the 4.0 manual and 2.5 (auto or manual).

I am not so sure about that. My vacuum solenoid died in my old 86 but the light still came on. Also my 88 XJ with a np242 had no vacuum disconnect.

So, back to your original question: As long as the 242 has the plug, you will need to check to see if your existing wiring has the appropriate harness and your cluster has the lights.  You may need to swap gauge clusters.  I believe most harnesses were universal, meaning AMC made one type to handle all possible options. 

I'm converting my 89 renix MJ to a 91 h.o MJ (wiring). I have stripped down all the wiring and know it well. I can tell you for the h.o year MJ's there were no provisions for Np242 'full time' light wiring. Your MJ was never offered with that t-case option, so fairly confident the renix year MJ's would be the same - lacking the 'full time' light wiring. You will need to remove the 2 wires/ pins at the 'full time' dash light of your donor and trace/ remove them from where they terminate and install them in the same fashion as part of your MJ dash harness. I recognize the vacuum actuated/ electric differences between the renix and h.o years and can say with confidence your MJ dash harness will not have those wires to the cluster light. It was easy to do, but I've got all my wiring out of the truck and on the ground.