other uses for trans cooler?

Blue88Comanche

I bought a new radiator for the MJ and it has the auto trans cooler,  but I don't need it because I have the 5 speed. What are some clever uses I could use the auto trans cooler for?

Probably not much.

Maybe boil some water in it & make a cup of tea.

Power steering cooler :thumbsup:

That was my thought as well, although I would never use it for that purpose.  Other than steering, there really isn't any fluids under the hood to keep cool.

I've read about guys doing just that on rock crawlers, but when taking fluid temps before and after, running the power steering fluid through the radiator cooler actually made the fluid hotter than w/o it. So probably not a good idea.

Nothing. Why put another fluid through something with potential failure leading to direct contact and contamination with coolant? I add a separate cooler to every auto car I own and remove it from the radiator completely. Takes longer to warm the trans in winter, bit I'm good with knowing it won't puke the trans from a bad radiator.

My mistake did not read the post correctly. I'm using my original XJ trans cooler ( the little in line one ) for my power steering cooler. As I fitted a bigger inline trans cooler bypassing the radiator.

So yep them ports in your radiator are probably go for sweet &%#@ all.  

My new radiator has dual transmission coolers for LHD or RHD, not sure if I'll actually use both of them but it's nice to have options. Since my trans lines are pretty much ruined, I'll probably use the RHD side when I plumb it to save routing length. Only other fluids underhood that could benefit from cooling are oil and power steering, but only if you really go hard.

I used the radiator cooler and a factory external cooler for the tranny. Works great.

However, you are not going to be off-roading it, and aside from the extra heat from the stroker and potential chance of overheating, your system is in far more efficient condition.

Any offroad vehicle has increased chance of non-heat related damage. Last thing I want in those situations is to crack a radiator, have to limp it off the trails, and find that I also contaminated $60 worth of ATF, if not wrecking the trans

I used the radiator cooler and a factory external cooler for the tranny. Works great.

However, you are not going to be off-roading it, and aside from the extra heat from the stroker and potential chance of overheating, your system is in far more efficient condition.

Any offroad vehicle has increased chance of non-heat related damage. Last thing I want in those situations is to crack a radiator, have to limp it off the trails, and find that I also contaminated $60 worth of ATF, if not wrecking the trans

All true and understand your point. I stuck the external tranny cooler in only because I towed a bike trailer with it quite a bit for awhile. I think an external tranny cooler is good to have in any MJ. In colder climates the rad cooler helps warm up the fluid faster, probably the biggest reason it's there. But for warmer climates, the rad cooler isn't really necessary as long as a decent external cooler is plumbed in.