YJ front axle

I was looking at the pics of it online and noticed that. are they otherwise the same? I have 2 friends who are excellent welders ( I can make 2 pieces stick together but am not a "welder") if it is as easy as welding on the brackets, that might be the way to go. I am doing a 4wd conversion, so I need to swap the axle anyway

I have a parts truck with 3.55s, my plan was just to buy a ring and pinion set and swap them in, then I saw that all the 4.10 gears need a 3.73 and up carrier, so that would be another expense. This one is $180, the cost of just the ring and pinion to buy aftermarket, and these are factory, so that is a plus in my book

You don't really say but you mention rotors, which only the front axle uses, so I am going to assume that this is a front YJ axle & that you have a 4wd which means that you will need to re-gear both axles. You also tell us nothing else about your Comanche so just playing the odds I will assume it has a D35 rear.

Factory pieces may be of a higher quality than the cheaper aftermarket gear sets when new but how do you account for the toll that mileage and possible abuse over the last 20+ years have taken? Were there ever over-sized tires on that YJ? The D30 is hardly the most robust axle out there even if it is adequate for most stock applications but if you start hammering on it and with bigger tires to boot...?. Even if not powered the front diff turns with every tire rotation. To do this right you should still be getting an install kit so you would have about $250 in buying that YJ axle & swapping the used internals over. But that is just for the front.  There are package deals out there for everything you need for a front and rear swap for about $400.  http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-driveline-driveshaft/jeep-ring-pinions/jeep-ring-pinion-gear-specials/rustys-gear-special-84-99-xj-87-95-yj-d30-rev-front-d35-rear.html  + the carriers for a total of around $570. As half of that $570 is for the rear swap you are looking at about the same money new versus used.

IMHO trying to swap the front  MJ suspension mounts onto the YJ axle to avoid just changing the pumpkin as about equal to holding the light bulb and turning the ladder.  :brows:

Keep in mind the year of the housing you are putting the gears into into.....the YJ gears will not go into the HP D30

Keep in mind the year of the housing you are putting the gears into into.....the YJ gears will not go into the HP D30

Why not?

Exactly: why not? If you are going to start off with "because YJ's were low pinion..." you might want to look into that first   :doh:

Of course that could just be my opinion and you don't share it.... :rotf:

If it does not matter......why do the manufactures and the aftermarket community waste time making reverse cut gears?

If it is like described above....... you would just need one type of gears for all.

If it does not matter......why do the manufactures and the aftermarket community waste time making reverse cut gears?

If it is like described above....... you would just need one type of gears for all.

OK...I will type slower and maybe it will sink in: YJ & XJ/MJ Dana 30 front axle differentials, not housings, are the same and are interchangeable during all years when the YJ was made. They are both high pinion reverse cut gear sets. Again they are 100% interchangeable. It cannot be put any more plainly than that.

thanks guys, sorry to disappear for a while. I went and bought the axle anyway. I already have an MJ model 20 with 4.10s, thus my need to swap just the front gears. I am not a hardcore wheeler, just a little mud now and then. My plans are a 2 inch lift and hopefully I can fit the 33s I already have under it with a little fender trimming. If they don't fit, I will sell them and buy 31s, not a big deal.

Back to the front axle, it seems to me that welding a few brackets is a lot easier than completely disassembling everything and setting up new gears. The axle I just bought looks good and clean inside, very little backlash and has new ujoints installed. 

What is different about the CAD? the new axle is missing it and I was counting on using my old one. my parts truck has the cable actuator already installed, so hopefully I can just use that.,

What is different about the CAD? the new axle is missing it and I was counting on using my old one. my parts truck has the cable actuator already installed, so hopefully I can just use that.,

What's different is that on the MJ (and XJ), the CAD housing also incorporates the tower for the upper control arm. The YJ doesn't have control arms, it's leaf sprung in the front. I don't know if the YJ CAD housing incorporates the spring perch but, whether it does or not, you're still faced with trying to add an UCA tower to a CAD housing that wasn't designed or intended to have one.

Personally, I'd much rather swap the gears than try to align and weld four control arm brackets, at least one of which is going to have to be a custom design. Remember, this is the front axle, the one you steer with. If you don't get the positions and angles of all four control arm brackets located precisely and symmetrically, you'll always have squirrely handling.

thanks for explaining that for me. I will take a look to see what the difference is, if the bracket looks too difficult to fabricate, I will just strip and swap the gears to the other axle.  I was planning on that to begin with but got caught up in the idea of just using this housing. This is a project for this winter. I plan on stripping out the parts truck before winter and working on the gears, brakes, engine gaskets and whatever in the garage. this will be the first winter without a car or truck in the garage. I always start out with big plans for the winter, but things get too cramped to get anything done. I prefer to work on vehicles in my driveway where I have more room if the weather

permits.

Thanks also for the TJ flare tip, do you have any pics?