Transmission questions

I just purchased an 88 Comanche; likely sold due to transmission problems.  I have been looking for any helpful information.  I believe that I likely have a Peugeot transmission, how difficult is it to swap for the AX15?  Are there kits?  Or is it simple replacements?

The AX15 is a direct bolt in trans.  However, there are two issues you need to research beforehand.

First, look for an AX15 from a 94+ XJ.  These came with the external slave cylinder.  You could get an earlier model and change the bellhousing and internals.

Second, the t-case that mates to the BA10 has a 21 spline input shaft.  The AX15 has a 23 spline output shafts.  So, you will need a matching t-case to go with AX15, or swap the input shaft on the t-case.

Additionally, as thejim42 mentioned, the crossmember for the AX15 is differnet from the BA10.

To recap:

1. Get a 94+ AX15 with bellhousing.

2. Get matching t-case (or change input shaft)

3. Get AX15 crossmember.

The AX15 is a direct bolt in trans.  However, there are two issues you need to research beforehand.

First, look for an AX15 from a 94+ XJ.  These came with the external slave cylinder.  You could get an earlier model and change the bellhousing and internals.

Second, the t-case that mates to the BA10 has a 21 spline input shaft.  The AX15 has a 23 spline output shafts.  So, you will need a matching t-case to go with AX15, or swap the input shaft on the t-case.

Additionally, as thejim42 mentioned, the crossmember for the AX15 is differnet from the BA10.

To recap:

3. Get AX15 crossmember.

Omit #2 if it is a 2wd.......... :thumbsup:

To recap:

3. Get AX15 crossmember.

Omit #2 if it is a 2wd.......... :thumbsup:

You are corret.  I didn't think to ask that question.  Thx.

The information is quite useful.  I need to start looking and see what I can find; hopefully, I can find all I need soon.  The truck is a 4x4 and may just come back and ask more questions when it's time to get dirty.  Thank you much to all for your time and helpfulness.

In the couple of months I have had one in the back of mine I have done moderate wheeling with it twice and it works great. I still hear it on slow speed hard turns, like into and out of a parking spot, but it doesn't effect drivability at all.

Would the transmission for a '96 Cherokee do well?  I looked at "lowmileageparts.com" for transmissions, but they do not specify whether it is AX15.  They do describe "manual transmission, 4X4, 6 cyl" and not much else, which describes what I have.  The pictures show the transmission with bell and all, but I'll need to call to be assured that it is as it shows.  Additionally, it shows a smaller part, which looks like a transfer case to me. 

How difficult would it be to change the input shaft?  I figure that I can get a crossmember at some yunkyard. 

Any information would be most useful.

Thank you in advance.

Would the transmission for a '96 Cherokee do well? I looked at "lowmileageparts.com" for transmissions, but they do not specify whether it is AX15. They do describe "manual transmission, 4X4, 6 cyl" and not much else, which describes what I have. The pictures show the transmission with bell and all, but I'll need to call to be assured that it is as it shows. Additionally, it shows a smaller part, which looks like a transfer case to me.

How difficult would it be to change the input shaft? I figure that I can get a crossmember at some yunkyard.

Any information would be most useful.

Thank you in advance.